Expand my Community achievements bar.

How many projects is too many projects?

Level 6
We just Kickstarted in 2400+ projects for a user group that is migrating to Workfront, bringing our project count from 500 to about 2900. Since then, loading the Projects page seems to have slowed the system down for all users. It varies by the last Filter/Tab selected on the Projects page, but overall, even with a filter that reduces the # of displayed projects to 200, there is still a noticeable difference in how long it takes the page to load. At best, there's a 7 second lag. Is there a practical limit to the number of projects one should have on their instance before one can expect to see a performance hit? This would just be good to know if there are any benchmarks around that. I'm curious how many projects (ballpark) other organizations - that feel comfortable with their performance - have. Thank you! M.L.
2 Replies

Level 1
Hi M.L., Our projects also number in the thousands. We try our best to design a view and access framework, using wildcards and groups, to optimise the experience for our end-users - ideally, using custom dashboards in the place of the project tab, they only see the projects they work on or need access to (between 25 - 100 projects). However, as a system administrator, the lag on lengthy lists, organisation-wide report building etc can be a pain-point. Our Workfront advisors are currently looking into system speed performance and confident a resolution is on the way. Also very excited about the New Workfront Experience which may remove the need for list views in the future. Best regards, Christian Barnes iProspect UK

Level 3
Hey M.L., We currently have 16000+ projects in our system, and we started with about 4000. It feels like after 2000 that the time to load doesn't increase anymore. The All Project view used to default to show 100 at a time instead of 2000, and used to initially load much faster because of it. I wish they would set it back to default at 100 items at least until they found a way to improve performance. Thanks, Parker Cantu MultiView