Expand my Community achievements bar.

Has anyone figured out how to report time off as reported by users?

Level 10
Has anyone figured out how to report time off as reported by users?
18 Replies

Level 5
This is a sticky one, Lucas. If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about reporting from the users' TimeOff tab. This is not readily possible. We've had some groups internally use a PTO "project" to get around this, then use a calendar to show it. This approach allows the manager to implement an approval for the request as well. Shameless plug: I'll be talking about this at LEAP next Monday at 2:00 -- Using Workfront Calendars to Increase Transparency and Predictability.

Level 10
Clever. I like it! Thanks. See you at LEAP!

Level 10
Hi Marty, Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend LEAP this year...hope it went well! I'm keen to know - regarding your proposed solution of a PTO project - how does this affect utilisation and availability reporting? I presume that as long as you book someone as 100% for leave bookings it doesn't increase their availability for other work, but is there any area that is shows that they had more available working hours than they really had? (if you know what I mean?) i.e. it shows that they worked 52 weeks per year, but really, they only worked 50 or 48 or whatever. Cheers, David

Level 8
There's a few, but they are limited in functionality. Try looking here: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/218328617-Time-Off-PTO-Reports As has been suggested, you could have people book time to a leave project to allow reporting. However, it doesn't have priority over other projects - Workfront will let you assign 8 hours 'leave' task and 8 (or more) other hours over other projects without problem. Putting in PTO means you cannot get the task scheduled for the leave time - but doesn't tell you why. We've had plenty of PM's get frustrated spending hours trying to work out why the task keeps sliding past the date, only to find they've assigned it to someone who has booked leave but not told the PM. Swings and roundabouts either way.

Level 10
Thanks Bruce.....very helpful. One shortcoming is that the dates are not listed in chronological order. I tried adding a sort order but this caused the report to fail when loading. Any ideas?

Level 3
We have adopted the code listed here: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/218328617">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/218328617 We use alternative coding #4 to just show future time-off. It works OK, except that the time off days are not listed chronologically and a bit of white space shows occasionally per person.

Level 8
Wow, thanks for this! We were told it was not possible to report on this data. I even have a feature request open for this.

Level 8
Now if we can figure out how to populate this data on a master calendar, that would be great!

Level 2
I find this column definition easier to read when compare to #4 in the support article: displayname=Time Off listdelimiter=  listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({endDate}>=$$TODAY,CONCAT("[",{startDate}," - ",{endDate},"]")) valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Thanks, this is very helpful. We were also told recently by WorkFront Tech Support it was not possible to report on PTO, not even through Text Mode. I'm happy that someone figured it out and even more happy they shared it with us. Thanks!

Level 10
Does anyone know how to chronologically sort the dates returned in a collection?

Level 4
Thanks Robert, Where exactly do you type in the code? I went to Reports > Calendar > Edit Calendar Item, then the only options are tasks, projects, or issues. I've tried it in each, but have not seen the results that I expected. I just want to be able to overlay the time-off for everyone on my team. Seems like it shouldn't be this complicated. The list format is hard to use when you have a large team.

Level 8
You can report on it, but currently there is no way to add it to the calendar. We have had a feature request open for this since March 2015. Adina ________________________________

Level 3
Eric C. the text mode code I mentioned goes in a Report Columns (View), not a Calendar. Calendar Tasks, Projects, Issues only offer ways to filter the content shown on a Calendar. Notice that "Users" is not an option, where presumably we might access "reservedTimes" entries. Workfront will need to help us learn how to plot Time-off entries on a Calendar.

Level 3
Would anyone happen to know how I can change the valueexpression to do a sum of the datediff? I'm looking to get the number of days and multiple by 8. I have a teammate looking for a report that will like keyed hours + nonWorkDays + ReserveTimes.

Level 3
In case anyone was interested. I have created a valueexpression that will give you the hours for the time off for users. valueformat=HTML listdelimiter= textmode=true valueexpression=IF({endDate}<$$TODAYe+1w,"",DIV(WORKMINUTESDIFF({endDate},{startDate}),60)) type=iterate listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists displayname=Vacation Hours If you take a solid week off, this process will look at the user's schedule and not count days that are marked as off on the user's schedule. For example on our schedule, Memorial day is a day off for all. I marked the entire week off for vacation. This calculation returned back 32 hours instead of 40. Hope this helps. Now, I would like to get the schedule days off for this report. Haven't figured this out yet. Also, it still lists instead of summing the entire list. :-(

Level 10
Nice text mode noodling, Michael: I am impressed! Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doug

Level 3
Despite not being able to total the hours, this code reveals good stuff. Thanks. ps. I wonder if any text code is able to aggregate data in a collection?