Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Has anyone already used the new journal report to create a report to show the status of a project and when it changed to the next status?

Level 10

I followed the articles on creating a journal report to show when the project status changed to another status and when and by whom, however, I did not get the desired reports - looking at the report.

Have anyone else already created this particular type of report using the journal report - that you'd like to share?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10

I'd be interested to see that too. I tried out the journal report feature for about 10 minutes and couldn't really see a good use for me. I'm sure if I spent more time with it, I would be able to figure it out a little better.

Community Advisor

In our instance one of the other admins created a prompted journal entry report which was useful in learning the syntax needed. (we just added all the useful looking journal fields [like Scope, Change Type, etc.] as prompts)

For example, in Benetta's case, with our prompted report I would have started with project ID = xxxxxxxxx, which would pull up all the entries in one project.

By scrolling down the resulting report, I can see that the project status changes are listed under a blank scope, so going back to the prompts list, I can add a filter for Scope is blank.

I can see that the status changes are also listed as an "edit," so that goes under my Change Type prompt. And so on.

By starting with one filter in the prompt and using additional prompts to narrow down the list, it's a really good way of avoiding building it in the filter section of a report and then having to go back and re-edit, which is quite time consuming when you're learning a new report type. It also gives us a level playing field (i.e. classroom) where we're all learning the same thing. And it allows us to use the one report instead of creating a bunch of practice reports for all our different situations.

Level 10

This is helpful - so a blank scope field is the actual change to the status of the project itself. The majority of the results are task changes - which i am not interested in and truly want to filter out - so i will focus on the scope field being blank. Thank you very much.