Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Groups on Project Templates?

Level 3
I'm wondering, why can't I add a Group to a Project template? I'm hoping I'm missing something but seems it's not a field I can select when setting up templates. Our projects are applied to different groups and subgroups, it seems weird to have to manually add that when creating the project from a template. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks! Allison Sizemore Advantage | ForbesBooks
7 Replies

Level 10
where on the project template were you trying to add the group? I can definitely share templates and projects with groups, but can't assign tasks to groups, or tag them in an update (only teams) -- so is this what you're asking about? -skye

Level 3
Thanks Skye, I'm actually trying to assign the Group in the Project Details Overview area. On a Project the field exists there, but not in a Project Template, on the template it seems I can only assign a Company. Allison Sizemore Advantage | ForbesBooks

Level 10
Yes, I find the same thing. When I create a project from a template it populates as "Admin Group" because it's alphabetically first and there is no place from within the template to set the "Group." Here is a screenshot from within a project to show which field this is referring to.

Level 4
I don't know why the Group field isn't an option to set on the Template, but when creating a project, the field defaults to the Home Group of the user creating the project Andrew Beard - LeapPoint Senior Associate LeapPoint Herndon VA

Level 10
Hi Allison (et al), I suspect that the reason Templates do not default to a particular Group is that, As Designed, the "reusable" nature of a Template was imagined to be used across a variety of business situations and people, with "Group" being one of several decisions made at the time a particular Project was created, (historically) then controlling access to that Project. In some instances, Templates are also "smaller", and intended to be injected into Project plans when certain events arise -- and again, making such "mini-Templates" independent of a Group then increases their reusability (As Designed). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Ooooh -- it goes to Admin because I'm an Admin makes more sense than alphabetically, which is what I assumed! It seems to go to the Home Group of whoever owns the template, because when I create a project when someone else owns a template, it goes to her Group.

Level 7
Yep yep yep! Templates can be shared with a group (template or project sharing) but not all users may be part of that group when they create a project from the template, which is why it's not a field that can be pre-populated. It should always default to the home group of the person creating the project though. Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront