Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

Finish to finish predecessors showing as Ready to Start when the predecessor is not actually complete

Level 1

My team has just noticed that if a task has a finish-to-finish predecessor only, it will show as Ready to Start when the predecessor isn't actually complete (or showing as green). WF support has explained to me that technically finish-to-finish predecessors can start whenever but just have to finish with the indicated predecessor task. I'm just wondering if anyone has a workaround so that finish-to-finish predecessors will stop showing as Ready to Start in dashboards and reports until the predecessor task is actually complete and the current task can start?

I've attached a picture that demonstrates what I am trying to explain!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can add multiple predecessors that better indicate when it's appropriate for your FF successor to start. For example, if task 31 should finish at the same time as task 30, it's true that task 31 can start any time. However, if you don't want it to start before task 30, then give it the same predecessor as task 30, e.g. task 29 in addition to task 30FF

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You can add multiple predecessors that better indicate when it's appropriate for your FF successor to start. For example, if task 31 should finish at the same time as task 30, it's true that task 31 can start any time. However, if you don't want it to start before task 30, then give it the same predecessor as task 30, e.g. task 29 in addition to task 30FF

Community Advisor

If the relationship is that task A must finish before task B can start then you should be using the fs predecessor and not the ff predecessor.

The following are the Workfront Dependency Types:

• Finish-Start (fs): The predecessor task must finish before the dependent task can start. This is the default dependency type, used when no other dependency type is specified.
  • Finish-Finish (ff): The predecessor task must finish before the dependent task can finish.
  • Start-Start (ss): The predecessor task must start before the dependent task can start. You cannot start the dependent task unless the predecessor has at least started.
  • Start-Finish (sf): The predecessor task must start before the dependent task can finish. You can start the dependent task before the predecessor starts, but you cannot finish it unless the predecessor started.
  • Scheduled-Start (sd): This schedules a task as Finish-Start, but actual enforcement type is a Finish-Finish. When you use this, the dependent task is scheduled to start after the predecessor task is completed. However, the enforcement makes it so the dependent task can start anytime, but cannot finish until the predecessor task is finished.

Level 1

Yes I was using the answer I marked as Correct Reply!

Thank you!