Expand my Community achievements bar.

Experiences / Advice with Group Admins

Level 10

We're looking into Group Admins but have some concerns.

I can't find any charts or granular descriptions of what you can and cannot lock a group admin out of?

Can they be prevented from making new custom forms? What about fields? Layout templates? Access levels? Templates?

How does the system limit a group admin's access to just a "group" when groups are simply a security/permissions construct?

And more generally, how do YOU use group admins? To create generalized sub-admins with more limited abilities? Full on admins controlling a subset of users somehow?

The more I think about the concept the less it seems to make sense, honestly…

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

We don't allow group admins. We don't believe Workfront pays enough attention to governance as it is. Allowing group admins would just make it worse.

Level 10

I kinda feel the same way, but we don't have full-time WF admins as it is, so coordinating these added but unrelated groups would be a huge burden, so letting them manage their own folks and areas to some degree would be a plus. But at the same time I need to make sure the instance as a whole does not become a cluttered mess.

But yeah, we keep finding that WF does not allow as much permissions granularity for admins as we'd like.

Employee

Hi Kevin,

You might have already seen this, but there was a user group in May about leveraging the group admin. Maybe there would be some insight in there to inform you as you start thinking about group admins.

Kyna

Level 10

Never found this when searching, so thanks!

Still was more top-level than I hoped, I need more "in the weeds" info. But it does seem to confirm that my hope for a true "lower tier but restricted admin" is not quite what Group Admins are about.

We may just need to do our own testing with a mock Group Admin just to feel out what's possible.

Employee

Glad it was semi-helpful. :) Because everyone needs different things, testing it on your own might be a good thing, so good luck with your testing if you go that route!

Level 4

We have multiple departments using Workfront and they all have separate needs, so each area has it's own group admin. You can control what your group admins are allowed to do, like any other access, and group admins can only manage custom forms, templates, etc within their own groups they are assigned to. We do limit ours a bit and restrict them from having the ability to delete projects in general.