Expand my Community achievements bar.

Entering Time at the Project Level or Task Level

Level 1
We are currently implementing Workfront and would like to know the pros/cons of requiring our project team members to enter their time at the project level or at the task level. We currently require time entry at the project level but wanted to hear opinions on both as we're open to changing our process. Thanks! Greg Mumbower Baxter Credit Union
7 Replies

Level 10
Tracking time via tasks allows you to have granular reports eg how much time did it actually take to perform this task as opposed to just knowing how much time it took the project. We allow our some users to log time as project time but most of our users log time via tasks as we wanted to ensure we could report on it later on. Polly Co

Level 1
We require time logged at the task or issue level, never the project. We bill based on the time logged, and require that it be logged against individual items, along with an update to back up the billable time. Thanks. Jill Jill Cameron Business Analyst Metafile Information Systems, Inc. (800)638-2445 jac@metafile.com

Level 10
Like Jill & Polly we prefer Task or Issue level. In addition to the reasons they mentioned, it's easier for me as a PM to verify they're entering time if they're entering in the Task and Issue. I have a Weekly Status Dashboard that shows Actual Hours on the tasks completed last week and the tasks scheduled for this week. We review these in our weekly status meeting with the team, so it's very easy for me to see if someone hasn't logged their hours and remind them (and the team) right there. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 6
Hello- We are also implementing workfront and am running into the same issue. However, from our standpoint the Change Management effort would be too great to start to ask team members to track time at a task level. So we are going to continue with monthly project time. So of the problems we are running into though are: 1. If a person is assigned to a task the task is going to show up on their timesheet. This may cause confusion for our users. 2. The other is that the timesheets are configured for daily time entry, we only want total monthly hours per project. 3. The final problem is that we have restricted our task assignment owners to only have view rights to the project, therefore, they can't edit project time. My consensus to you is that if you can get your organization on board with entering time per task that would be WAY better! It's the way workfront is designed, especially if you war going to be assigning tasks to users. If anyone has any thoughts on how I can change my set up to better allow for monthly project time entry I would LOVE it. Thanks! -Mollie Mollie Shatek JLL

Level 2

Mollie - we have the same problem. We need to only track a project time and only want to see projects on the timesheet. We are trying to get Adobe WF team to look all the settings and help us understand why we are not able to only show Projects. The settings do not seem to be working like they should. Let me know if you have had any success and I'll keep you updated with our progress.

Level 1

Hi,

We are facing the same issue. Wondering if you were able to resolve the issue?

Level 1

Email me at lou_ann.kleiman@dell.com and I'll set up some time to walk you through our solve!