Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Documents moving from request to converted project

Level 4
Are all comments and documents on requests supposed to be available to the projects they are converted to and linked to? It seems like our workers are sometimes able to see these items and sometimes not able to see them. Tracy Bryant UF IFAS Communications
11 Replies

Level 4
Hi, yes all the documents and updates should be moved to projects when you converting requests. Marta Sowa Sky Betting and Gaming

Level 4
Thanks for the reply. The problem that I am seeing is that clients are sending comments and adding documents to requests that have been converted to projects. The requests are linked to the project, but sometimes the comments and documents are pushed over to the project and sometimes they are not. Tracy Bryant UF IFAS Communications

Level 2
Are documents/comments being added to the request after the conversion? If that's the case, those new/additional files/comments will not carry over and exist only in the request, which is independent from the converted project at that point. Bree Main General Nutrition Centers, Inc.

Level 4

Hi, in this case I am surprised that any documents / updates are actually pushed over to projects. My users have reports showing them link to the requests and then resolved object link. They are trained to put updates and documents on request only to the point when request is showing in "new" status, once request is converted to project and showing "in progress" users are updating project, not request. Hope it makes sense. I am attaching reports screenshot. Marta Sowa Sky Betting and Gaming0690z000007ZhgRAAS.png

Level 2
Bree is right. If they added it to the request or issue after it's been converted, it won't transfer over to the Project. Emily Duncan Carilion Clinic

Level 8
Oh... this is fun. We have not opened up our instance to our clients yet (we take the work in via email and request the work ourselves) so we have not ran into this. However, I did some testing and sure enough, if an issue is converted to a project and the client adds docs or comments to the issue after that conversion, that data can only be seen by going back to the resolved issue. Our PM's would never do this w/o some sort of prompting from the system and even then could still be missed frequently. Is there a way systematically to have any changes or updates made to the resolved issue automatically roll up to the resolving project? Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 4
Yes, documents/comments are being added to the request after the project conversion. I have upwards of 4000 people who can make requests and training them to do this correctly is kind of a nightmare. Thanks for your replies! Tracy Bryant UF IFAS Communications

Level 2
One of the things I did last year was turn off the option "Keep the original issue and tie its resolution to the project" (under "When converting an issue to a PROJECT..." in Settings > Project Preferences > Tasks & Issues). This deletes the original request/issue entirely. For us, we don't track requests/issues, so losing them was not a problem at all. However, Marta's report is clearly based on the Resolving Object and keeping the original request, so I'm not sure I'd want to mess with that in her instance. We constantly had problems with our users not understanding that their request/issue was different than our project and that they existed independently. Even experienced users had a hard time differentiating which was which and would place updates in their original request, which I lovingly referred to as "no man's land." Now that the original issues are deleted, I no longer have problems corralling people into the right place. Bree Main General Nutrition Centers, Inc.

Level 4
Hi Brandon, I am sure that link between requests and project can be created using API although my PM's are completely fine with the fact that they need to update projects not requests from the point of conversion. I have around 280 users at the moment. I've have built API automation and converting 180-200 requests monthly by the click of the button and everyone is following the process so I wouldn't worry about this, key is the clear training in my eyes :-) Marta Sowa Sky Betting and Gaming

Level 4
Hi Bree Our case is definitely different then :-) We are tracking all the requests, requests are going through the approval process as we are in regulated industry and everything needs to be compliant and have an audit trail. Reporting and training really solved our problem with confusion. Marta Sowa Sky Betting and Gaming

Level 2

Hi @Tracy Bryant , I have encountered the same issues. What I've done for our requestors is to create a dashboard that displays their requests, but only once they've been converted to a project (this is a project report based on the user that is logged in). This is ensures that they can no longer see the issue/request, they see its project and they can interact with the live project our team is working within. The requestor name is on our custom form and that is the field I pull into the report at the project level. Screen shot below. There are a couple of caveats to this. 1. If the requestor wants to leave an update and does not actually @ mention the person on task or project, no one is notified of that update. 2. The lazy reply email feature does not take an attachment from the email and ingest it into Workfront. If an attachment is attached to an email with the lazy reply, there unfortunately is no warning to anyone involved that the document was not automatically put into WF. Conversely, when requestors do upload their documents directly in WF, there is a notification setting that the person on the task can be notified that a document was uploaded to their task. Hope this is helpful, Sarah Sarah Lemoncelli0690z000007ZhfdAAC.png