Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Display Chart from Text Mode Grouping

Level 2

Is it possible to display a report chart that includes a grouping that is pulled in via text mode?

I have a task report that I am pulling in the program name via text mode and am also grouping by program name via text mode. I want to display a stacked column chart showing the Assign To Name and the Program Name. It seems to work when I set up the chart - meaning it will allow me to select the Program from the "Group Data By" field in the chart options, but then it does not display anything on the chart itself when I view the report.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 2

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? I'm hoping there is something I'm missing. I have checked the documentation, but have not found anything that relates to charts generated from text mode groupings specifically.

Level 10

Hi Michael,

Workfront report charts require that the data be "persisted" in the database, meaning that data calculated dynamically (via a valueexpression) cannot be charted.

That said, since both Program and Assigned To are persisted in the database, even though you're using textmode to get the Program (since it is "far away", hopping from Task > Project > Program), that might be too far for the chart engine to recognize. If so, you might need to "pull" the Program into (persisted) custom data at either the Project or (worst case) Task level, in order for it to be "close enough" to then chart.

For a bit more context (using a Portfolio example; similar but different), I invite you to read this How's My Portfolio? blog post.

Regards,

Doug

Thank you @Doug Den Hoed‚ ! Your response is much appreciated. We had bounced around the idea of pulling in the program name to a custom form field via Fusion to resolve this, but I wasn't sure if it could be done directly. You have confirmed that answer for us.

Level 2

Hi @Doug Den Hoed‚ @Michael Keith - inactive‚ Looks like we are facing a similar issue,

when a reviewer rejects something on Workfront proof, we ask them to fill a custom form having fields like ""Reasons for Rejecting" having a dropdown with pre-defined categories.

Now, our users wants to see charts - displaying how many proofs got rejected for what reason.

We have been able to expose the field in basic reporting. But not able to use the text mode code to get grouping done.

Any leads will be highly appreciated.

FYI @Agnieszka Markuszewska-Shehata‚

Level 10

Hi Juhi,

Since the Reason for Rejecting is already stored in a pre-defined (dropdown) of categories, you might not need textmode to chart it: you could simply add it to the report view, the report grouping, and set the chart (e.g. Column Chart) to show Record Count for the Y-Axis, Entry Date by Month (for example) as the X-Axis, and then Group the data by Reason for Rejecting (e.g. side-by-side).

Regards,

Doug

Level 3

HP Inc, would need this urgently, thank you.