Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Deleting Tasks for Work Licenses

Level 1

I've confirmed that in Setup>Access Levels>Worker - folks have access to delete tasks but I'm getting messages from people saying they can't delete tasks. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Jane

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 4

I just ran into this too, Jane.  I checked the settings and then did some testing, logged in as the Work user who noted the issue.  I was only able to delete tasks I created as this user.  We first noticed this issue yesterday.

Shawn

Community Advisor

Are they trying to delete tasks in projects they don't have manage access on? Someone can have delete abilities in their access level, but doesn't mean they can delete in a project they only have view access of, for example.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

The user in question owns the project.  As far as I know, Work licensees can not be given Manage access.  Nevertheless, documentation states that Work users have the ability to edit tasks (presumably this includes deleting tasks, as there are no limitations listed), as long as their, and the access level settings are correct.  I checked all of those criteria before testing.  And as mentioned, I was able to delete tasks that were added by this user, but not by others.

Community Advisor

Access levels and permissions to objects work together. I would check under the share option of the project and the task that the user has the permissions to that object that would allow deleting. 

Access levels are the foundation of permissions for users in Workfront, allowing or restricting them to perform certain activities.

Permissions are specific to one item in Workfront and define what actions one can take on that item.

In order to delete a task the user must a) have it in their access levels (as you have noted) but they must also have access through the object. 

• Users with a Work license have limited project rights. They can contribute to a project, but not manage one.

Access requirements to delete a task

You must have the following access to perform the steps in this article:

Adobe Workfront license

Work or higher

Access level configurations

Edit access to Tasks and Projects with access to Delete

Object permissions

Contribute permissions to the project with ability to Add Tasks or higher

Manage permissions to the task

Level 4

I never had to set the task access level, before.  It always defaulted to Manage for any Work users who were given Contribute project access.  That is not the case with this one user.  I actually have to manually share tasks with him to give him Manage access.  Oh, and when I try to do that on an individual task page, rather than in bulk from the project page, the newish sharing interface hangs with a spinning wheel where his (or anyone else's) access level should be.

I compared his settings with other Work users and they are the same.  I guess it's ticket time.

Community Advisor

My next guess would be that it's set at the project access level to not give contribute access when assigned to a task. 

When you go to edit a project there is a section called Access where you can define the default permissions. This is also in a template so if you use templates to create projects you can set these defaults up there as well. 

KellieGardner_1-1702567908974.png

Level 4

Thanks for your responses, Kellie.  Unfortunately, none of thoughtful options seem to be issues in this case.  In fact, I was able to determine that the issue is only with this one user, so I put in a ticket to have it looked into.