Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Curious about the plan for Filters, Views, and Groupings

Level 10

Currently, my reporting philosophy is to have fewer reports and allow them to be modified and filtered through pre-defined sets of Filters, Views, and Groupings. This allows us to have only a few reports of each type to track and maintain.

To clarify:

If I have one project report with 10 pre-defined filters, 10 pre-defined views, and 10 pre-defined groupings I can get a total of 220 different report combinations out of a single report. This is WAY better than having 220 reports!

After implementing this method, I've cut our report count from around 1,200 to under 100.

I'm curious what the plan is regarding these modifiers in the new reporting canvas. And will we still be afforded this time (and money) saving feature.

Tagging @Matt Thomas‚

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi all,

I am in full agreement with the reporting philosophy of fewer reports. In my mind this helps to not only reduce the the number of reports to create, but also to maintain.

In Reporting Canvas we plan to continue to support filters, views and groups to ensure you are always able to get at the right grain of data to make business decisions.

In addition we will be adding functionality like Canvas filtering, which acts almost like a Dashboard level prompt, which should even further reduce the number of reports created and maintained.

Doug, regarding you question about the API, I might need to spend a bit more time with you to understand what you are doing today to more fully comment on it.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Looks like tagging isn't working in that post.

@Matt Thomas‚

Level 10

Very impressive Randy,

I also make heavy use of reusable views, groupings, and (especially) filters, with the latter via the API, so @Matt Thomas‚ , in addition to your philosophical and UI response to Randy, I invite you to also elaborate on how the NRE views, groupings, and filters will "fit" with the existing items via the API, or (if not) how they can be accessed via the API.

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi all,

I am in full agreement with the reporting philosophy of fewer reports. In my mind this helps to not only reduce the the number of reports to create, but also to maintain.

In Reporting Canvas we plan to continue to support filters, views and groups to ensure you are always able to get at the right grain of data to make business decisions.

In addition we will be adding functionality like Canvas filtering, which acts almost like a Dashboard level prompt, which should even further reduce the number of reports created and maintained.

Doug, regarding you question about the API, I might need to spend a bit more time with you to understand what you are doing today to more fully comment on it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

On the API side, for example, our UberFilter solution allows users to create, save, and then choose (classic) filters such as “Projects I Own Planned To Complete This Quarter” at the top of a (classic) dashboard, and when they then hit apply, have that filter take effect across multiple (classic) Project reports all at once (by restricting their contents to only those projects that match the selected filter).

I would like to understand if, in New Reporting Experience:

+ can Users name and save a defined filter

+ can the APi find and return such filter

+ will such an APi call remain the same

+ if not, what will such a call look like and return (eg is it the same “definition” as classic)

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Thanks Matt, That's really promising news. Looking forward to beta testing!