Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Can you create a report of all values in a custom form?

Level 5

The use case: we are trying to do a major data integration with our compliance review system. This means all values must be in sync.

We want to be able to do a straight Excel compare, but can't find a way for the individual values of each custom field to be exported out of Workfront. See below for the kind of data we're looking for.

We can export a list of custom forms, but the data within eludes us. I've tried Kickstarter export as well, has the same limitations. Any hacks would be appreciated!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Ryan,

Since custom forms are now 1:many with the object (e.g. Project) to which they are attached, I do not know if Kickstarts can be used to capture existing data in this fashion, and from your description, this sounds like a broad exercise, vs honing in on one particular parameter value (e.g. which you could then assess by creating a fit for purpose report).

Accordingly, depending on your timing, budget, and appetite, I suggest you consider:

• manually creating a report for every custom form of interest that returns all columns of interest for all objects of interest, exporting the results to Excel (being careful to keep within the maximum limits on rows and columns within Excel), and then analyzing the results in Excel
  • same as above, but using our Excel Updater Generator solution to automatically create the textmode view for all columns of a custom form of interest (likely more columns than you require, but typically MUCH more efficient than manually picking-and-choosing)
  • use our Workfront Snapshot solution to export your (Project-filtered, if desired) Workfront Data to a standalone Microsoft Access database, and either then analyzing the results in Microsoft Access (if you have the means), or "linking" to the data using Excel (if you have a Windows based operating system) and then analyzing the results in Excel

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

I think Doug and I interpreted this question differently. What I read is:

"For a custom form in my instance, show me the list of custom fields that exist on that form, and if a custom field is a dropdown, multi-select checkbox, or radio button, tell me what are the possible options a user may select from"

Doug's solution speaks to this interpretation:

"I need to export all the custom data that has been attached to projects, without building a massive view of all possible custom fields"

Doug's answer is great for his interpretation of the question. But if the question is actually what I interpreted, here's a different answer:

Create a Parameter report. (It's buried in the list of "other" report types in the report builder)

Add a column to see on which forms does a Parameter appear:

descriptionkey=form.plural

displayname=Appears on Form(s)

namekey=form.plural

shortview=true

tile.name=component.custom.field.forms

valuefield=customfieldforms

valueformat=HTML

viewalias=customfieldforms

Add another column to see what are the selectable options for drop downs, checkbox, or radio buttons:

displayname=Value Options

listdelimiter=<div>

listmethod=nested(parameterOptions).lists

namekey=parameterOption.plural

textmode=true

type=iterate

usewidths=true

valuefield=value

valueformat=HTML

And, probably add a filter so you're only pulling Parameters that have selectable options (ignore calculated and open text fields, etc.)

displayType=CHCK SLCT MULT RDIO

displayType_Mod=in

You should get something like the attached image, which you can export to Excel.

0694X00000DX1GCQA1.png

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 2

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed, and works perfectly. 

Level 1

Hi William,

I was looking for a similar solution when I read your post. I'm wondering how to pull in the CategoryID for the Forms in addition to the names? Is that possible? 

Level 5

I think this might be it! I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens!

Level 10

Thanks Bill,

We've got zone coverage going today: I'd offered the means to find which values are in use, you'd offered what values are possible.

Either way, Ryan, I expect we've got you covered.

Regards,

Doug