Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Can we restrict access to project / template?

Level 10
Can we restrict access to a project / template? Currently users can use the search and find projects (many old, but still they can find them), how can I restrict a user's access. When I look at the share - they are not listed as being able to see that project. If I remove system wide view access - then do I have to go back in and give the RIGHT people access back? I have over 500 projects. thanks for your help. Benetta Perry APS
7 Replies

Level 10
hey Benetta, when you look under the Project / Sharing, if their name isn't listed on that area, they should not be able to see the project. You should just double check and make sure that their name isn't listed in the "Inherited Permissions" list. If it's in there then definitely they will be able to see the project based on permissions inherited from either the program or portfolio. If they can see the project and their name isn't listed in the sharing area and inherited permissions list, then probably would be better to submit a helpdesk ticket in case something else weird is going on. Also double check by logging in as that user, to make sure that the user really can see the project. Aside from that, you are definitely able to bulk select projects, click on the sharing button and list people, teams or groups and remove their views that way. (click on the view dropdown and then select "no access") -skye

Community Advisor
Since you are sharing System Wide that means anyone with a non-External Workfront account can search and find the projects/templates. Since you only have 500 projects, I would go through all the templates and edit the project sharing and template sharing to be the appropriate group/team/person. And then also bulk edit the projects as well to be the appropriate groups/teams/users. This will allow for a smoother experience across the board. Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 3
You also may want to check the Sharing options on the project templates themselves. "Template sharing" means the users listed can use the template to make projects. "Project sharing" (on the template) means that when that template is used to make a project, the users listed will have access to the projects. It's possible there are people listed here that shouldn't be. Allison Lippert Workfront allisonlippert@workfront.com

Level 10
Skye, Monique, Allison I will follow A L L of these great suggestions. It would be so much easier, if I could say, "allow all access" except the following user ids - that would be a MUCH shorter and easier list - just like call blocking - I had to globally go in and select all projects and restrict site wide visibility - because the external users were able to find projects via the search function. I wish I could control that search function using the interface template - display or not display it. This would solve a lot of problems as well. Anyway, i have logged in as each of my current 10 external users and tested the system using the search bar - testing out their visibility to anything other than what they should only be seeing. Took time, but now it is working properly, I believe. If I have restricted a normal user, by accident, i'm sure they will contact me - on why they can not see their particular project(s) anymore, and I will fix it - by explicitly giving them back proper access. With these template / project changes/modifications it is easy to block out the wrong person/team accidentally - but again - I think I have it set properly. Thank you again - for all your great suggestions. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Hello Benetta, We do the majority of our sharing for Projects at the Portfolio level. If you remove system wide access you will have to grant access back to those projects, provided there are no inherited permissions. You have options to bulk edit the projects to assign sharing directly to them or if your projects are in a Portfolio or Program, you can apply the necessary sharing options on them. Hope this helps! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 9
Bumping up an old thread - before I submit a helpdesk ticket. We've setup a new division in our WF instance. Currently, the team(s) that were created for this division were not added to existing portfolio view. However, in logging in as the new users they can see other portfolio's that their team does not have access to. The portfolio they can see, is not visible system wide and they are not listed in the sharing. So far I've checked: - access level has 'view only groups/teams they are assigned to' - spot checked misc projects in the portfolio to verify they also are not listed in the sharing. - verified specific user settings only list the teams they belong to Is there anything that I am missing that could be giving them the ability to view these projects within the portfolio?

Level 4
Hi Christina, Make sure you do not have inherited permissions enabled under sharing. If so, "x" that out. Dr. Rochelle L. Webb, CSM Interim Director, Project Management Office MHMR Tarrant County Ft. Worth, Texas 817-569-4146