Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Bug: Changing Duration of a Task Changes Task Duration of Next Task

Level 10
Hi - we found this issue yesterday and reported it. Workfront is working on it, but there is no solution yet and it is causing huge problems for us so thought it might be for you too. Basically, when you change the duration of a task, the next task's task constraint changes to Must Start On. This prevents the schedule from recalculating. Here is a video I put together for my people and sent it to them: View this on Vimeo > Anthony Imgrund FCB
8 Replies

Level 10
Sorry, task CONSTRAINT of the next task. (Sorry, brain cells aren't working well today) ;) Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 3
Hi Anthony, Our MKT PM team noticed a "glitch" where the task constraint is changing by itself within the system instead of staying static. All the task constraints are set to As Soon As Possible. PM made two changes, adjusting the hours on one tasks and the predecessor on another. These two changes resulted in the task constraints of two tasks changing. One changed on the task PM had edited but the other changed to the task below it. I was going to post about this as well to look for help. I do have a couple of questions though that maybe you or someone else in the community can help with: 1. What did you suggest to your PM team as a workaround as this glitch is occurring, or how to handle the glitch? Our PM Manager is freaking out. 2. I noticed how you said in your statement that "Must Start On" will prevents the schedule from recalculating. We also let our PM Manager know this however he showed us where dates according to the duration will still move if he changes duration and calculate against the timeline. Can you explain more on this? Maybe it is part of the "glitch". 3. Do you know if using "Fixed Dates" affects the recalculation of the timeline? Erika Garrett Gulfstream Aerospace

Level 4
This has been happening to us since late last week. I have a case opened. Denise Moore | Ameritas ® | Senior Analyst, Project Management 5900 'O' Street, Lincoln, NE 68510 | p: 402-325-4285 | f: 402-325-4069 | denise.moore@ameritas.com

Level 10
Eesh. Good to know. Thanks Anthony!

Level 10
Hi Erika, 1 - We sent the video link to our Project Owners and we recommend using our Standard with Task Constraint view (which is just the standard with with the Task Constraint column added and then we made it available system-wide for our users). That way when they make a change to one task, they can see that the next task changed and they can easily click into that column and fix it back. 2 - The reason I said this messes up the recalculating is because instead of moving the days of the next task, it keeps the dates of that task the same. The Must Start On prevents the next task from moving where it supposed to. (example: you move Task 1 a month, Task 2 - instead of moving a month as well, will just change to Must Start On and the originally dates will stay. That is not expected behavior. So it isn't that Recalculate Timeline doesn't work, it is just that the task constraint prevents the days from adjusting correctly. 3 - Fixed Dates are fixed. So they don't recalculate as they aren't supposed to move since they are fixed. :) Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 5
Hi Anthony, We originally got the change in task constraint when changing a due on date - i'm guessing that was expected behaviour? Thanks for the info re the duration - passing that on now! Miranda Rais GVC

Level 7
I thought I was losing my tiny mind, thank you. We are also affected. Katherine Stibley DMD Marketing Corp.

Level 7
Hey all! Workfront is indeed aware of this issue. We have a defect in to address it, and it is currently scheduled to go out with our weekly patch tonight. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront