Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Budget Tracking

Level 1
Hi there, This is the first time I'm participating in a discussion, so please bear with me. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep track of our invoices and track our budgets for each of our projects. I've searched the Help feature on the Workfront Customer Experience site to see if there was anything I could use ore read up on. I found topics such as Calculating Budgeted Costs, Understanding Project Finances, and Creating Billing Records, but I'm not sure this will work for our department's needs. It would be great if there was an area or tab for each project where invoices could be added for that particular project with information like vendor name, invoice number, amount of invoice, PO number, description, and date of invoice. Creating a Billing Record is sort of close to what we need, but we wouldn't be sending out any bills to be paid. I hope this makes sense. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Kimberlee Ohira Servco Pacific Inc.
4 Replies

Level 2
Hi There, We also have to track our spend for each project so we added a custom form where we record the invoice info. for each master task in a project. We then can run reports to summarize the info for each project. Using a custom form will allow you to track the details that you need. Hope this helps! Stef Slobuski Verizon Wireless

Level 10
I can tell you what I did, not sure it's the best way but it's working so far for us. There is a custom form Expense Type where you can make all the fields that are appropriate (ie invoice # etc). Then I attach that form to every project via the template (I had to manually attach the form to existing projects at the beginning). Then I made an expense-type report/dashboard with most of the fields from the form and made it a tab in every project (on the template) so it shows the expenses just for that project. It's easy enough to fill out the form directly in the report on each project. There are a couple fields that I didn't put in the report so I have to edit the custom form on that project to fill them out at the beginning of each project. I also put the same expense report on another dashboard in the Reports section for certain people who are interested in the expenses where it then will show all the projects together. The one thing I can't figure out is how to eliminate that project tab from the Portfolios where there isn't an expense form required. Any ideas on how to set that up in the Layout Template? Jill Ackerman | Director, Product Marketing Lindblad Expeditions 96 Morton Street | New York, NY 10014 Ph. 212.261.9080 | Fax. 212.265-3770 jilla@expeditions.com | "http://www.expeditions.com/"> www.expeditions.com

Level 3
I have done many solutions with clients on this topic. Some have been easy peasy and others have been almost replacing a billing system. How may I help you get this done quickly over trying to figure it out over time? Send me a note through community Doug Williams - NETSource Consulting NETSource Consulting dwilliams@netsourceconsultinginc.com | www.netsourceconsultinginc.com Helping others simplify the complexities of their Workfront installations.

Level 1
Hi Stef, Jill, and Doug, Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate your feedback. Stef and Jill - I will look into your suggestions and see if it will work for our department's needs. It definitely seems like something that will fit our needs. If I have any questions, I will reach out to you. Doug - Let me see if what Stef and Jill mentioned will work for us, if not, I'll reach out to you. Thanks again! Kimberlee Kimberlee Ohira Servco Pacific Inc.