Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best Practices: Project-long Activities

Level 2
Greetings to Workfront gurus! I was wondering what are current best practices of creating a "permanent" activities for the project. Say, I want to keep track of something during the whole project life cycle, and I create a "monitoring" task for that activity. In other words, I do not have a planned end date for this activity. Not sure if should be considered a recurring activity as it has no defined recurrence cycle. Thank you, Yegor Filonov
5 Replies

Level 4
THIS!!!! I have never found a PPM program that allows for handling this well. Ideally, what would be great would be for Workfront to allow for dual constraints. That way you could make the START DATE of the task Start-to-Start with the Start of the project AND END DATE of the task Finish-to-Finish with the End of the project. That way, as those dates change, this task would change elastically. Also, it would be great if you could put in a fixed hours-per-week number. So, you say that no matter what, this task should have 2 hours per week. If the task ends up being five weeks, it has 10 hours of effort. If the end date shifts 2 weeks out, then it automatically increases to 14 hours of effort. This feature is my dream feature!!! But, it doesn't exist and no PPM product is interested in creating a task feature that MS Project doesn't already have, so it will never happen... Typically, our projects have at least 2 tasks like this. One is an Admin task for Project Managers to record their hours. A general catch-all task that we can put hours for running project meetings, updating status reports, scheduling things, responding to e-mails, etc. We also have a similar task for the project team members for attending the weekly status meetings. These tasks are set up as a successors to the Kick-off (this has it's own task, so people record their time to that specifically) as weekly meetings tend to start after the kick-off. Then, as the project goes on, I have to manually adjust the hours of effort (which is typically (Number of team members) x (duration in weeks) x (estimated effort per week - typically 1/2 hour or hour)) and duration as the project changes over time. Since this is manual it ends up being frequently too long or too short for at least some period of time before I remember they need adjusted to reflect schedule changes. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 10
Hi Jason, I agree with your "But, it doesn't exist and no PPM product is interested in creating a task feature that MS Project doesn't already have, so it will never happen" comment. Fortunately, Workfront designed its API as a platform that allows partners to intervene in such cases and extend the base functionality. In this case, our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/ubercalc/">UberCalc solution can automatically manage such Admin and PM "elastic" Tasks in the manner you've described, just as if it was part of Workfront; hence "UberCalc". Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
I wonder if Workfront Fusion could accomplish the same thing. Daniel Cooley Kenall

Level 2
Thanks Jason and all for your input! What would you think of using an admin time type instead of admin task? At the first look it may be a good substitution: I'll be adding an admin time to the project, not to particular task. This way I can escape creating project-long tasks. Yegor Filonov Whole Foods Market, Inc

Level 4
Possibly. I don't know the repercussions off the top of my head but I do know there are a lot of people who are violently against doing it that way, though I couldn't tell you all the reasons. Not doing it that way was part our SOPs before I joined the firm or became an admin, so I don't know the pitfalls. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP