Expand my Community achievements bar.

Avaliable Resources Report

Level 1
Hi All, I'm trying to build a report (to work in excel) that replicates the "Resource Estimates" tab when you are in a Resource Pool (not talking about resource estimates on the business case-- confusing that they have the same name). Same data shows up on the Capacity Planner tab under "Avaliable Resources". When creating a "Resource Estimates" report, budgeted hours seems to be total amount allocated, and scheduled seems to be amount scheduled by setting budget to schedule. I can't seem to figure out where to find the amount avaliable when building a report (doesn't seem to exist in resource estimates or resource pool). Any help would be great, thanks! Image attached of the data I'm talking about.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10
Hi: I’ve never found this information through reports. Here is what I do: (If I can’t get things done gracefully, I primitive-Pete my way to success) 1) I go to People; 2) Select Resource Planning; 3) Select User Utilization; 4) Select the appropriate filter (Calculate Allocation for This Month, for example), and filter to get the users I want to see; 5) I select the information from the screen and paste it into Excel - it drops into columns nicely. 6) Then I do a VLOOKUP by User Name to populate numbers where they go. Having said that, I’ll see if that information is available. What I do is crude and non-scalable, but it has served me well for a couple of years. Thanks for asking! Eric

Level 10
Okay, there is a better way if you want to see multiple months. You can go to People, resource Planning, Resource Budget Manager, and export it to Excel, then to a VLOOKUP or whatever by role. In the past, I needed the availability by person, not role. If you need availability by role, this is the way to go. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
By the way, I think the screen shot is the table of resource estimates you can modify. The one I just described is the availability of users, by primary role, based on their status (active) and their schedule. :-)

Level 10
Hi Logan. I'm interested in learning where you plan to take this data in Excel, and (reciprocating) invite you to learn about our Project Heatmap solution. As this screen shot illustrates, it helps visualize upcoming shortages across particular roles, highlighting which Projects are in jeopardy, and computing the number of hours "short" (vs the Capacity Number you seek) in any given month. Regards, Doug

Level 1
Thank, Lucas. I saw that export option too. Unfortnately, the formatting makes it difficult for what trying to do, so I was hoping there was another way to get this data. Doug, to answer your question-- We've currently putting some project data in a database and analysing the data with another tool. I'm trying to look at the resourcing data in excel as a POC before we move anything into our database. For now, I think I can work with a user report since our avaliable resourcing values are currently just the number of user per role in the system. Bummer there isn't a better way to get the actual avaliable values in reporting since those can be manually adjusted. Thanks guys!

Level 10
I'm being told by WorkFront Tech Support that they don't actually store the availability anywhere, they in fact calculate it when needed thusly: (# of users in Job Role) x (# of Typical Hours per Work Day) x (FTE) I've asked some clarifying questions, but that is the essence of what I'm being told today. Thanks,Eric