Expand my Community achievements bar.

Assign Critical Path tasks

Level 4

This is probably a dumb question so I'll blame it on the December rush.

How do I assign a task to a critical path? We have milestones in place, but have never gotten into the critical path. I know how we can view it, but not assign it.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Lisa,

Whether a particular Task is on the Critical Task is not assigned, as such, but derived by Workfront (ie. if it slips, does the Project then slip), which I invite you to learn about in this primer.

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

I read through that previously. So you can't say what is critical? In a task list of 20items, 5 might be critical to the timeline while others may not be. Sorry - this doesn't make sense to me.

In looking at some projects, random tasks show as being on the Critical Path

Level 10

Correct, Lisa: logic in Workfront deems "Is Critical" via the schedule.

That said...

What you can do is define your own Task level custom data with an "Critical Task" checkbox and use it to tag (then report on) any Task that you deem as critical.

Our Timeline solution does exactly that, in fact: and then allows you to visualize multiple critical paths to those Critical Tasks within that Project...or even preceding that Project, if you happen to also use Cross Project Predecessors.

It's an advanced concept, but if you (or anyone else) would like more details, I invite you to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com.

Regards,

Doug

Employee

Hey Lisa,

I think @Doug Den Hoed‚ has given you a great link and I just want to say that there is no such thing as a dumb question! As it says in this community group's description: No question is too big or small!

My philosophy is that if someone has the question, others must as well. 😊

Kyna