Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adding People to Project Team

Level 5
Hi All, Calling all WF experts! I'm trying to add users to a project, even though they are not assigned to any tasks, but I want them to be included on the project team. I've gone to People - Staffing - Add Users , but not everyone in the system is popping up as option. I've already gone into the settings and de-selected the role or group needed. (see uploaded screenshot) So my question is- why do some folks appear when I type in names, and others don't??? I've compared the user settings for one person who appeared, vs. someone who didn't- and I'm not sure what the criteria is..... tks! Karen Karen Rutz Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development
11 Replies

Level 7
Hi Karen, not sure if this may be it or not, but I went to Project --> Staffing --> Scheduling --> Add Users, and I found that I could add anyone who had a Work or a Plan license in my instance, but the ones that came up with 'no matches'/unable to add were those individuals who have Reviewer licenses, so perhaps this is the same situation you are having in that the individuals that you were trying to add do not have a Work or a Plan license. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 5
Thanks Terry! I can see some folks who have requester/reviewer licenses....... Karen Rutz Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development

Level 5
This post has reinforced the "I am not crazy" theory I had going! While I follow have always used Terry's method (Project --> Staffing --> Scheduling --> Add Users), it only recently (within the last 30 days I think) that I have run into the same issue as Karen where I can see some folks who have requester/reviewer licenses but not all. Karen have you submitted a ticket with support by chance? I would be happy to add my name to the chorus if it helps get it resolved sooner! Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation

Level 5
Hi Tracy, I did submit a ticket- they couldn't figure out why some folks showed up and others didn't. It was behaving very buggy! I'll keep ya'll posted on outcome of inquiry..... tks Karen Karen Rutz Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development

Level 3
We had the same issue, a handful of people just not showing up for no apparent reason. Have an open ticket at the moment. Stephanie Mulrooney Tomorrow People

Level 7
I am having the same issue with some resources not coming up on a project as an option to add. Was WF support able to resolve this for you? My example: I have a "Designers" role with 6 people, all of which have worker licenses. All of them have their primary role set as "Designer". However on the project, only 1 of those 6 designers shows up as an option to add to the project. It's not finding any other names when I start typing their names. Sarah Wilkerson

Level 4
All, we ran into this as well and found that you can ONLY add resources to a project on the Staffing tab if they are in the Group that is set under Edit Project or the Project Details > Overview tab. The good news is you can change it to the correct Groups, add the resources, then switch to another group and they stick. So, for example, we use Group to help indicate what Business Unit is requesting the project. All our resources, however, are in the Information Technology group. So, when it comes time to add to Staffing we switch the group from the Business Unit to IT, add everyone who needs to be there, then switch it back. This does appear to be something that changed with a recent update as we have no memory of this being true in the past but due to our project lifecylces we haven't done this for at least 6 months so we couldn't be sure. Hope this solves your issue. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 2
HI, By any chance do you have the toggle selector turned on for the option "Limit Assignments to the Group associated with the Project" in the Staffing Tab preferences Setting (accessible via the Gear icon on the right in that tab). Turn this off and you should be able to assign anyone that has the role you need. Regards, Steve Steven Hirsch Creative Acceleration

Level 7
Ah!! Thank you so much @Steven Hirsch . That toggle button "Limit Assignments to the Group..." was the trick. Sarah Wilkerson

Level 7
@Jason Maust thank you! Changing from group to group does work, but I agree that is a pain to keep switching groups. See Steven Hirsch's recommendation above... By any chance do you have the toggle selector turned on for the option "Limit Assignments to the Group associated with the Project" in the Staffing Tab preferences Setting (accessible via the Gear icon on the right in that tab). Turn this off and you should be able to assign anyone that has the role you need. This worked for me. Sarah Wilkerson

Level 4
Mystery solved! Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP