Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Creating Proofs in Workfront with Workflow Template Attached

Level 2

Hello everyone, this is the second time that I have ran into this issue while working in Fusion 2.0 and was able to get around it the first time but not so lucky now 😅 . Essentially, I want to create a Workfront proof on a task with a workflow template attached. I have thought about two ways of doing it.

• I could create a proof using the ProofHQ connector but the problem there is I don't know how to associate that proof in ProofHQ with a document on the task level in Workfront.
  • I create a document in Workfront with the 'Upload Document' module and then I use the 'Misc Actions' Workfront Module and I use the 'createProof' action but this is where I get stuck. How do I attach the workflow template? I think it might have something to do with the 'advancedProofingOptions' field but I don't know what to put in there to attach the workflow template?

The second option is the route I am on right now but if anyone has any more eloquent and functional solutions I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Caden

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Caden,

I have at least a partial answer. Your instincts are accurate -- There is not, to my knowledge, currently a way to create a proof in the Proof Connector and then attach to the proof to the task in WF.

The best path here is to create the document and proof from within Workfront and it's associated connector. The challenge is that is is not currently designed for the timid :).

Here's the general steps (and example blueprint and images attached).

1. Get some file (my example just downloads something random from the internet -- always dangerous).
  2. Upload it to WF (identify object and potentially folder to upload to).
  3. Get the newly created document version ID
  4. Map some data to a complex data structure to be used in the next step.
  5. Generate the proof with the Document misc action "CreateProofRest".

Note: this last action will not return the proof ID directly. So if you need it...you need to wait 5 seconds and query the document stuff again to see the new proof ID.

The trick is creating the data structure (module 10 in my example). If you import this blueprint, then go to that module and add a new data structure, then use the sample JSON I have provided here to automatically generate the data structure. Once you create the data structure, you can see the ability to map all sorts of fields that manage the automated workflow. Unfortunately, I don't think you can simply identify a template and let it do the work ...but instead, you can structure an automated workflow here.

That said, there is a "templates" array, that I haven't played with much.

Hopefully that at least gets you on the right track and maybe you can share some learnings discovered on your journey.

0694X00000BznqkQAB.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Caden,

I have at least a partial answer. Your instincts are accurate -- There is not, to my knowledge, currently a way to create a proof in the Proof Connector and then attach to the proof to the task in WF.

The best path here is to create the document and proof from within Workfront and it's associated connector. The challenge is that is is not currently designed for the timid :).

Here's the general steps (and example blueprint and images attached).

1. Get some file (my example just downloads something random from the internet -- always dangerous).
  2. Upload it to WF (identify object and potentially folder to upload to).
  3. Get the newly created document version ID
  4. Map some data to a complex data structure to be used in the next step.
  5. Generate the proof with the Document misc action "CreateProofRest".

Note: this last action will not return the proof ID directly. So if you need it...you need to wait 5 seconds and query the document stuff again to see the new proof ID.

The trick is creating the data structure (module 10 in my example). If you import this blueprint, then go to that module and add a new data structure, then use the sample JSON I have provided here to automatically generate the data structure. Once you create the data structure, you can see the ability to map all sorts of fields that manage the automated workflow. Unfortunately, I don't think you can simply identify a template and let it do the work ...but instead, you can structure an automated workflow here.

That said, there is a "templates" array, that I haven't played with much.

Hopefully that at least gets you on the right track and maybe you can share some learnings discovered on your journey.

0694X00000BznqkQAB.png

Level 2

Darin you're a genius! Thank you so much for this very through response. I validated it on my end and it worked beautifully! Yeah if I find out anything about attaching templates I will update here. This will be a great post for anyone in the future who needs to do the same thing.

Thanks again! 😎

Level 4

Hi Darin

we are looking to solve for a similar scenario, attaching a workflow template from within Workfront so that the proof link is visible from the document details. This thread looks promising and we would like to try it - however, the data structure file did not come across when One was migrated - do you happen to have a copy of it you can post again by any chance?

regards

Cian

Level 3

Hi Cian,

Were you ever able to solve creating a proof and attaching a workflow template? I'm trying to do the same thing. 

Community Advisor

Hi Caden,

I don't suppose you have the blueprint / structured data file darin previously supplied. It's not available since this post was moved from WF One over to Experience league?

Thanks in advance,

Rich.