Expand my Community achievements bar.

Check out the new Workfront form designer in Preview!

Employee

Dear Community,

We are excited to announce that we have enabled the Form Designer Beta in the Preview environment, which is set to replace the current Workfront forms in the near future. To try out the new form designer, simply click on the "Try form designer Beta" button on any new or existing form. If you need to switch back to the current forms, the option is also available.

The new Form Designer offers a number of improvements, including:

• Optimized form layout
  • Improved canvas where you can view the actual structure of the form without having to switch to Preview mode first.
  • Ability to copy fields 
  • Soon-to-be-supported resizing for Descriptive text fields
  • Offloaded form builder by moving field tracking and form/field sharing controls out of the forms.

Please note that Skip/Display logic configuration is temporarily unavailable in the form designer but will be added shortly. All existing logic configurations will continue to function normally.

We would appreciate it if you could take the time to try out the new form designer and share your thoughts with us using the Feedback button. Your input will help us improve the experience before we move from Beta to General Availability.

Thank you!

Lilit

18 Replies

Level 7

This is great news! although not revolutionary at the moment I do expect that in the future more interesting options, e.g. combining in a form custom and default fields to get uniform look and feel. I will play around with this.

Employee

Definitely! Watch out for more updates in the coming releases :)) 

Level 9

It looks interesting.....a little different navigational wise with it on two sides vs. all on the left.

Things that I'd love to see:

- Being able to have special characters in field labels. Since these are not used in calculations, I'm not sure why we can't. (ex. I cannot have a name that says Please select all that apply: because you cannot add a colon.

- Being able to set logic easier. I don't believe you can currently opt-out of viewing a field - you have to instead select all the fields that you want it to see. 

- More intuitive form layout.

I'm really looking forward to these updates as we have some upcoming form changes. 

Employee

Thanks for the feedback! Can you please elaborate what layout you'd prefer to see for a more intuitive experience?

Level 2

cool. ... you all taking any feedback on this version or is a feedback system built into preview already? If not, where? 

Employee

We have added a Feedback button on the new form designer, in field settings area. Please use it to share your feedback with us. Thanks!

Community Advisor

One of the best features of the current iteration is the ability to see what other forms a specific field might be attached to so you are cautioned if modifying...I did not see that in the new Preview version, is that going away?  If so   

Community Advisor

Sigh of relief!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 10

There is one thing that would be a game changer; Field Validation.

Every form builder has had it for at least a dozen years… except Workfront.

Thank you.

Employee

Thanks, Randy! Introducing field validations is on our roadmap for the new form designer. 

Level 10

Thanks Lilit, good to know you're on this effort. It gives me confidence it'll be done right.

Do you know anything about the planned syntax for validation rules? Will it be standard regex (the easiest and most well-known), or some new textmode language? or something entirely different?

Level 10

Hi @LilitM 

Are we getting feature of template in custom form similar as in dashboard?

Where you can place your custom fields to be appeared in specific shape and boxes.

Thank you.

Employee

Hi, Kundan,

That's not planned at this point but definitely something worth for us to look into. Thanks for the idea! 

Level 7

one more thought on my end. Very handy option in forms aside from "default selection" is "remember user's last choice".
Example use case, Dropdown field with list of languages. I want to specify English as default (let's say 80%) of submissions, but than for everyone who submits in other language they always need to adjust English to their preferred language,e.g. Korean, Italian etc.

This requires more attention from users in "minority group"

Level 10

I think we just need a clarification of which user we're referring to. I would assume they mean if you've used this form before, it will remember your choice, is that correct?

Remembering the choice of the admin that built the form doesn't seem likely as that doesn't make sense to remember one person's choice for everyone.

Level 7

assumption is correct. end user's choice is what should be remembered.