Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

satllite.pagebottom and satellite.track

Level 1

Hello All,

I have a doubt i want populate datalayer for a overlayer in that time after setting my data can i call _satellite.pagebottom or _satellite.track. Please advice me

As per standard we have to use _satellite.pagebottom at the close of body tag and what is the difference between  _satellite.pagebottom and _satellite.track and what will be the impact if i use _satellite.pagebottom for setting datalayer value of overlay. Please suggest

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

is it suggested using _satellite.pagebottom in one page multiple times or not

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Level 2

It depends of your application :

- The overlayer is an UX exception or are there a lot pages displayed like that ? 

- The DL is updated sync or asynchronously ?

Level 1

it is a onclick overlay(if i click a button one overlay will be displayed) . we are using synchronous call

Level 1

Mehdi Oudjida wrote...

It depends of your application :

- The overlayer is an UX exception or are there a lot pages displayed like that ? 

- The DL is updated sync or asynchronously ?

But my question is below

I have a doubt i want populate datalayer for a overlayer in that time after setting my data can i call _satellite.pagebottom or _satellite.track. Please advice me

As per standard we have to use _satellite.pagebottom at the close of body tag and what is the difference between  _satellite.pagebottom and _satellite.track and what will be the impact if i use _satellite.pagebottom for setting datalayer value of overlay. Please suggest

Level 2

Ok, so :

Update the data layer and call _satellite.pageBottom(). It is a way to not duplicate what you have configured on page load rules in a direct call rule.

Level 1

You mean say i can call many times _satellite.pagebottom in my code 

Level 1

but as mentioned in some doc it was saying that it has to be placed in the close of body tag 

As you mentioned if i use multiple times in one page is there any impact for tracking or i won't be any impact

Level 2

You just have to prevent to send bad dimensions or events populated for previous pageBottom

Correct answer by
Level 1

is it suggested using _satellite.pagebottom in one page multiple times or not

Level 10

Hi Mohan, 

You can  use _satellite.pagebottom  multiple times on a page. The only thing that needs to be taken care of is to prevent sending the dimensions or events populated on previous pageBottom.

Thanks & Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 4

Hi,

I would not use satellite.pageBottom multiple times on a page. If you do, it will help trigger multiple page view tags.

It should be set once.

Level 3

Ok but how do you do that?

Personally, I trigger a _satellite.track and inside it, I use s.clearVars();and then _satellite.pageBottom();

Level 4

pageBottom is to help DTM understand the loading of the page. However, it will also help trigger your page view ( i.e. s.t() ).

Adding it multiple times, will constantly trigger a page view. I would rather use the .track which will then help you call a direct call rule.

I see that you are using the clearVar function. FYI, see the latest notes (AppMeasurement for JavaScript ) as Adobe has now introduced call backs functions that will allow you to clear your vars

• s.registerPreTrackCallback
  • s.registerPostTrackCallback

Level 3

Hi Jerome, thanks for your answer.

I agrre: having multiple "pageBottom" will trigger multiple hits of page view. It's not what we want.

Personnaly, I didn't mean to trigger pageBottom multiple times.

What I meant is: I trigger one pageBottom at each page load (using a track and a clearVar before). But I have multiple "page load rules" that are triggerred by the unique pageBottom call. Those rules are applied or not according to the filters set inside each rule.

So I have only one hit for Analytics but from many rules with different filters...

Employee

Hi GaMeur1​,

Just want to add here that Page Load rules do not fire individual hits and just populate the variables to be sent through the call initiated by the Analytics tool in the web property. The Analytics tool fires the hit once _satellite.pageBottom() is called.

_satellite.track() is a separate function to call Direct Call rules and that can/can't fire a hit based on it's configuration. Here is an article regarding the same:

Create conditions for direct-call rules

Level 1

This is not the correct answer that is a question....