Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM Rule fires, but will not trigger SiteCat vars as expected.

Level 2

I have a page load rule to track my order confirmation data. 

The rule consists of criteria to ensure it fires only on the order confirmation page.

The rule also specifies that Analytics variables for State and Zip fire (based on pre-configured Data Elements calling js vars on page)

Finally there is Custom Page Code (in the Analytics section):

var s=window.s;
s.purchaseID=my_cart_id;
s.products=my_sc_order_products;

I can see the rule fire without errors in the console using Satellite debugging (_satellite.setDebug(true)), however none of the specific SiteCatalyst variables from the rule are being fired (other SiteCat vars do fire). I'm using Charles to sniff the packets and evaluate the output from the page code.

Any additional ideas on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Salome,

Thanks for responding.  Erika and her team were able to get back to me with the following suggestions:

Their Analytics tool was set to load page top, but the “Global” rule (where eVar72 was being set) was set to run at page bottom; I set the rule to run at page top and the eVar72 value is showing up consistently in staging

So, by configuring the rule to load at page top, the Analytics code began firing correctly. 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 3

Frank,

I don't know for sure which property/rule you are working with, but I think I was able to find it.  It looks like you aren't setting anything for Analytics aside from the lines in the Custom Code.  I'm not sure if it's still present, but there used to be an odd quirk with Custom Code that required you to set at least one variable through the UI as well, otherwise it wouldn't send any of that data through.

I would try setting Page URL to "%document.location.pathname%" (without the quotes) just to have something set in the UI.  That will basically have no real effect on the data (as you're just setting the URL to be... the URL) but it should get around that quirk if that is indeed what's causing your problem.

Best,
Shawn

Level 3

Hi,

have you added a purchase event for the product ? 

Cheers,

Michael

Level 2

Hi Shawn,

I added the Page URL settings as you suggested. This particular Page Rule also has the variables for Purchase Event, s.zip and s.state set via the UI as well.

I am not seeing any of these variables fire, but I do see the rule firing in the debugging console.

Thanks!

Level 2

Hi Michael,

Prior to your comment, I had not configured a Purchase event.  I have since updated the rule to include a Purchase event, but the results are the same at this time.

Thanks!

Level 3

I am having similar issues as Frank. If I define a custom event within the rule UI, I can get the event to record in sitecatalyst. However, if I put custom code in to record a custom event with a value (i.e. 'event35='+somevalue) neither the event set in the UI nor the custom code record in sitecatalyst.

Similar scenario, I can see the rule firing in the debugger as well.

Level 3

If this issue still persists, can you provide the property you're workinf within and the rule name so we can do some specific troubleshooting? Thanks!

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Salome,

Thanks for responding.  Erika and her team were able to get back to me with the following suggestions:

Their Analytics tool was set to load page top, but the “Global” rule (where eVar72 was being set) was set to run at page bottom; I set the rule to run at page top and the eVar72 value is showing up consistently in staging

So, by configuring the rule to load at page top, the Analytics code began firing correctly. 

Thanks!