Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

New vs returning visitor

Level 3

HI there,

Could you tell me how long the does the Adobe considers New vs Returning visitor?

If we launch an activity to New Visitors audience, when would the user be classified as Returning Visitor and stop bucketing into the Activity?

Thanks

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Administrator

A "New Visitor"'s first visit lasts as long as they are active. If the user is inactive for 30 minutes or longer, their session is reset, meaning that they will then become a "Return Visitor" upon their next visit or once they become active again after those 30 minutes of inactivity. This also means that if the visitor moves around the site every 29 for a whole day, they will be counted as a "New Visitor" that whole day, since their session was never reset (because they never went over the 30 minute threshold). Check out our article on New or Returning Visitor in our product documentation for more info. Hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Administrator

A "New Visitor"'s first visit lasts as long as they are active. If the user is inactive for 30 minutes or longer, their session is reset, meaning that they will then become a "Return Visitor" upon their next visit or once they become active again after those 30 minutes of inactivity. This also means that if the visitor moves around the site every 29 for a whole day, they will be counted as a "New Visitor" that whole day, since their session was never reset (because they never went over the 30 minute threshold). Check out our article on New or Returning Visitor in our product documentation for more info. Hope this is helpful!

Level 4

Hi Amelia!

I'm wondering, can either of these profiles be used as entry criteria? For example, I only want to allow new user's into my activity.

Level 3

@bkmills1 this is possible.

1) Create profile scripts

if(user.isFirstSession) {

return true;

}

2) create audience

1377971_pastedImage_2.png

4) Activate the response token (This will help you identify if the script is working ), you can check the details in mbox json response in network tab

1377972_pastedImage_3.png

hope this was helpful

Level 4

Yes, they can easily be used as entry criteria.  You just set it up in your Audience Refinements.  Go to Audience -> Visitor Profile -> New Visitor.

1378134_pastedImage_0.png

Level 4

Thanks LJ and YogitaBist!

@LJ, this is what I ended up doing. We've used this audience many times for report filtering, but never for entry.

Worked like a charm!

- Brion