Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Doubt about recommendations

Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm starting working with Adobe recommendations but i'm lost and the documentation doesn't help me because it is mainly oriented to Adobe Target Classic workflow.

Can somebody explain to me the difference between creating and recommendation activity (in which i decide the criteria, design and collection) and create an dynamic mbox in the source code.

I'm very lost in the process of creating recommendations base on items and i haven't be able to find good resources to learn how to do it.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Rafael,

Regarding your question: When i'm creating a new criteria that is base on the current item the docs says "the entity.id value must be passed as a parameter in the display mbox." How can i passed a parameter when i'm creating an activity?

When you load up a page in the visual experience composer and you attempt to use a criteria that is based on an item, Target looks at your implementation for that page and tries to identify which the item to base the recommendation on. It does this by looking for the entity.id. Becuase this is part of the initial implementation, it is done prior to setting up the activity, and is really just part of your page code (unless you have a tag management solution).

The sample code below shows how you would pass in an entity.id. 

<html> <head> <script> function targetPageParams() { return { "entity": { "id": "32323" } } } </script> <script src="../mbox.js" /> </script> </head> <body> </body> </html>

If Target does not detect an entity.id on the page, it will "hide" the criteria, so that you are not trying to use something that Target knows will not function properly. Let me know if that helps. (hopefully this post doesn't appear twice like my last one :) )

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee

Hi Rafael,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding the right documentation -- we are working on making it more discoverable.

This links below are a good place to get started for our Recommendations functionality in Target Premium:

Recs Premium Documentation (Getting Started)

As part of the standard implementation, we recommend passing certain entity attributes (product or content metadata) via the targetPageParams() function as described in the "Recommendations Implementation instructions By Page Type (also referenced above). 

One of the most popular use cases for creating a dynamic mbox is to pass the information to Target that is not is NOT available until after an mbox has already gone out. You can control when you fire it (after a click, on mouse over, after specific data element are available on the page, etc). However, this is more of a Target Classic implementation tool for regional mboxes. The equivalent within Target Standard/Premium is a function called TNT.createGlobalMbox(), which is documented (in a basic form) here.

Please let us know if that is the kind of information you are looking for. We'll make sure to improve the discoverability of our documentation. Thanks for you feedback!  

Level 1

I thinks that's my confusion. The documentation combined some features of classic and standard.

I hope you can answer me this question. When i'm creating a new criteria that is base on the current item the docs says "the entity.id value must be passed as a parameter in the display mbox." How can i passed a parameter when i'm creating an activity?

My main goal is to use different activities (with their own criteria and design) depending on the item. For example if my client is in a televisor product page i want to recommend him accesories for his TV and i should use one activity but when the client is in a bicicle product page i want to use another activity.

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Rafael,

Regarding your question: When i'm creating a new criteria that is base on the current item the docs says "the entity.id value must be passed as a parameter in the display mbox." How can i passed a parameter when i'm creating an activity?

When you load up a page in the visual experience composer and you attempt to use a criteria that is based on an item, Target looks at your implementation for that page and tries to identify which the item to base the recommendation on. It does this by looking for the entity.id. Becuase this is part of the initial implementation, it is done prior to setting up the activity, and is really just part of your page code (unless you have a tag management solution).

The sample code below shows how you would pass in an entity.id. 

<html> <head> <script> function targetPageParams() { return { "entity": { "id": "32323" } } } </script> <script src="../mbox.js" /> </script> </head> <body> </body> </html>

If Target does not detect an entity.id on the page, it will "hide" the criteria, so that you are not trying to use something that Target knows will not function properly. Let me know if that helps. (hopefully this post doesn't appear twice like my last one :) )