Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.

☕[AT Community Q&A Coffee Break] 10/13/21, 8am PT: Gentry Lin, Senior Solutions Consultant for Adobe Target☕

Administrator

Join us for the next monthly Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 @ 8am PT

Be sure to MARK YOUR CALENDARS with a link to this thread

We'll be joined by Gentry Lin (aka @GentryLin), Senior Solutions Consultant for Adobe Target, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Target Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Target questions pertaining to her areas of expertise She :

• Implementation

• Personalization

• Core web authoring workflows

• Adobe Experience Cloud integrations

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Target
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Target Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @GentryLin 
  • When exchanging messages with Gentry about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with Gentry

**For those who have joined an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break before: please note that we are no longer using formal registration pages for these events - just be sure to Mark Your Calendars to sign in here to the Community on 10/13/21 @ 8am PT, and hop onto this thread for direct answers to your questions, from Gentry

GentryLinHeadshot.JPG

Gentry is an Adobe Senior Solutions Consultant specializing in Adobe Target. She has extensive practice in Target client-side implementation, including single page applications. Coming from a background in Adobe Audience Manager and Adobe Analytics, Gentry is deeply versed in how Target's integrations within the Adobe Experience Platform can power personalization, activation, insights, and optimization. She loves to talk with customers about how Target's dynamic targeting capabilities can help customers develop their personalization programs.

Curious about what an Adobe Target Community Q&A Coffee Break looks like? Be sure to check out our past 2020 Adobe Target Coffee Breaks, covering a WIDE variety of Adobe Target topics, and our latest thread from our 9/8/21 Adobe Target Coffee Break with @vishalchordia  

43 Replies

Level 1

We have currently implemented adobe target via Adobe Launch and integrated Data Provider, the third party API, Open Weather befoore the Load Target rule fires. We see flickering happening on our website. Can we get into the details of this flicker?

Employee

Hi @nehak16392103 !

Kai here from the Target Client Care team to assist your questions today. Thanks for your questions and participation! Flicker can sometimes occur when tag embed codes are loaded asynchronously and the page finishes rendering before the Target library is fully loaded.  In order to mitigate this, we suggest following the steps outlined at https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/core-services-learn/implementing-in-websites-with-launch/impl... and specifically taking a look at the section outlining the Target Pre-Hiding Snippet.

Once these steps are followed, if you are still seeing a noticeable flicker/delay here are a few other things to consider:

1. The default timeout setting in the pre-hiding code snippet is set to 3 seconds. If you are seeing the 3 seconds blank screen all the time, then please double check to ensure that bodyHiding is enabled for at.js in Launch. If body hiding is disabled, the snippet will always wait for 3 seconds before showing the content. If you have enabled bodyHiding and still seeing 3 seconds blank screen occasionally, that is expected to happen when the Target requests takes more time to respond, usually on slower internet connections (such as mobile). You could potentially fix this by adjusting the 3 second timeout for the hiding snippet. Ensure you don't reduce it too much, the more you reduce the number, the more chances to get a flicker.
  1. If opacity 0 does not work in your implementation, you can also manage flicker by customizing bodyHiddenStyle (in Launch) and set it to body {visibility:hidden !important} . You can use either value body {opacity:0 !important} or body {visibility:hidden !important}, whichever works best for your specific circumstance.
  2. Are you hiding the entire HTML body with the pre-hiding snippet? By default the snippet pre-hides the whole HTML BODY. In some cases, you may only want to pre-hide certain HTML elements and not the entire page. You can achieve that by customizing the style parameter. It can be replaced with something that pre-hides only particular regions of the page. For example, you have two regions identified by IDs container-1 and container-2, then the style can be replaced with the following:

#container-1, #container-2 {opacity: 0 !important}

Instead of the default:

body {opacity: 0 !important}

Reference: https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/target/using/implement-target/client-side/at-js/manage-flicke...

Level 1

@GentryLin Would just like to listen in on others questions and answers

Level 1

Would like to find out when to use VEC vs Forms when creating AB test, thanks!

Employee

Hi @sharani_ !

Kai here from the Target Client Care team to assist your questions today. Thanks for your questions and participation! The Visual Experience Composer (VEC) is a great way to create and test activities and offers within the site context. As the VEC is a visual interface, it’s a great way to edit and review design choices without having to directly edit code on a page.

The Form-Based Experience Composer is a non-visual interface that is often used for tests where the visual experience composer is not available for practical use. Examples include emails, kiosks, and voice assistants.

Below is some additional documentation that includes a video that dives deeper into use cases for each composer. 

VEC: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/experiences/vec/visual-experience-composer.html...

Form-Based Composer: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/experiences/form-experience-composer.html?lang=...

Level 2

What is the best way to leverage first party data in Target?  Does loading it in the profile make sense for that?

Employee

Good morning, @MikeTolin ! You're spot on—there are various ways to get first-party data from outside systems to enrich the Target profile. Namely, you can pass profile data from the page in the call to Target, or use our profile update API, or use the Customer Attributes service, which allows you to upload csv files with your hashed customer ID in the first column as the key, and first-party attributes in additional columns. If you use Adobe Standard today, you can upload up to 5 attributes in Customer Attributes; if you are a Target Premium customer, you can upload up to 200.

Here are some resources to get you started:

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Level 2

Hi @GentryLin, good morning!  Would love to get your input on two questions: 

1:  Target and AEM.  Will Target be decoupled from AEM in the future? 

2:  Target and AEP.  For Target to consume AEP audience info, are there additional requirements on the Target side? 

Thank you! 

Employee

Good morning, @bc_99 ! Here's my take:

1. I don't have much insight on this one from a product perspective. Is there a more specific answer you're looking for?

2. If you're creating segments in AEP today, they are accessible in the audience library automatically. However, we're currently beta testing enhanced features such as designating specific segments to "activate" in Target (which will then make them available in the audience library). I'm not aware of any additional product requirements aside from provisioning new integrations when they are released. Stay tuned!

Level 2

Thank you, @GentryLin, very helpful! 

For 1, the context is it seems there are two ways of integrating AEM and Target, one being Target is part of AEM and test build is within AEM, another is to have AEM and Target connected but Target is separated from AEM, but fragments can be exported.  I'm looking at how to assess the two different approaches, flexibility, agility, efficiency and future expandability and scalability. 

Thanks much! 

Employee

Great question! There are certainly use cases for both, and Experience Fragments really brings both worlds together to give you the best workflows—maintaining governance and control in AEM, which being able to leverage those experiences in Target with all of our more robust testing, personalization, and AI capabilities. Take a look at this resource that covers some scenarios and considerations:

Level 1

@GentryLin I am a high beginner, very entry level intermediate user with target. our team now owns this tool. while some of it is easy to figure out, there are always questions about it. 

The most recent one was syncing Audience manager (a new tool for me too) and Target via a form online. What does this form accomplish?

Employee

Good morning, @ryangilger! Great question. The form goes directly to our provisioning team to enable the shared audiences integration, which enables you to share audiences between Audience Manager > Target, as well as Analytics segments > Audience Manager > Target. (You do not need a license to Audience Manager, however, to leverage shared segments from Analytics.) More on the integration here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/audience-manager/user-guide/implementation-integration-guide... 

Does that help?

Level 2

@GentryLin Is there a way to get notified if an update has been made to a page that has a Target activity running which results in the changes that were made in Target no longer working/ showing? Currently, I only know this if I go into the activity in "edit" mode and see an error message within each affected experience. A report or notification that alerts me when this happens would be extremely helpful.

Employee

We currently don't have a feature for this purpose, but it would be a great enhancement request! You can submit the suggestion here, which our product team reviews regularly.

Level 1

@GentryLin , also, I think I figured out via trial and error that the reporting source cannot be changed once an activity has launched live. We went in to deactivate to then reactivate to change reporting source and this was not allowed. 

Also, why can only certain users only see select reporting suites on their end, while I can see all of them on my end. Granted, I am one of our team's super admins for the admin console. 

Employee

Hi @ryangilger 

You are correct- Once an activity has been set to Live with a reporting source selected, you cannot change the reporting source for the activity. You can, however, copy the activity and change the reporting source by editing the copied activity.

Different users have different permissions within organizations that allow them varied amounts of access. As you are an admin of your organization, you will have more access than someone who is an observer, for example. More information regarding the different levels of access each user has can be found here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/administer/manage-users/enterprise/property-cha...

Level 2

Hi @GentryLin

Another very specific use case on how data is passed between AEP and Target. Hypothetically if experiences created in Target needs to tailor to an audience based on click event on 3rd party properties (clicked on a social ad for example),  how does the data flow between GTM, AEP, and Target?  

Thank you! 

Employee

Great question. I'm not familiar with the GTM side, but you can create audiences in AEP that are based on Experience Events. Once you set up your XDM schema for an experience event for a third-party action, you can use the AEP segment builder to include that as part of your segment rule. Then once it's saved (and subsequently shared to Target), you can use it as the audience—or combine it with other Target audiences—for your Target activities.

Let me know if this helps. You can check the documentation here: 

Level 2

@GentryLin when are the new Cart-Based recommendations expected to be available?

Employee Advisor

@RyanLG wrote:

@GentryLin when are the new Cart-Based recommendations expected to be available?

Hi @RyanLG - Cart-based recommendations is planned for a November release.   Upon release, more information will be included in the Target release notes:  - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/release-notes/release-notes.html?lang=en  

Thank you!