Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Text field from one line to the next...

Level 1

I am unfortunately very new to Livecycle and after spending more time than I'd like to admit searching for a solution I've decided to try coming here. I need a text field that spans in a paragraph positioned across two lines like the portion I just made bold-faced. I have no idea how to create one that spans from the end of one line to the beginning of another. Is this possible? If so, remember that the person you're describing this to is very green - so don't take anything for granted when using vocabulary directly related to livecycle

5 Replies

Former Community Member

You have to make the field a multi-line field to be able to get text in more than one line. The setting is a checkbox on the Object/Field palette. This will allow the text to wrap once the first line of the field is filled. See the screen shot below:

capyure1.png

Paul

Level 1

I don't believe I've explained it well... I know how to get multiple lines in a text field. If you look at what I have in bold in the first post, that's the only text I want in the field.

To be more specific in what I'm creating, I have a confidentiality agreement where I want others to edit the information they need to put in (date, name of the company, etc) - but I want the rest of the text to be locked in. So in a paragraph, there are only small bits of information I want to appear as a text field so that clients can put information in. There are certain spots where, like the bold-faced text in the first post, a part that the client can adjust hits the end of the page and skips to the next line. I don't know how (or if - last night a friend a bit more experienced in livecycle said this can't be done) to take a text field and have it continue on the next line once it hits the end of the page.

I know I'm struggling to explain exactly what I need to do... if this isn't clear let me know and I'll see if I can find a better way.

Former Community Member

Ok I think I understand now ....you aredescribing a floating field. This field type is a field at Design time and when the form gets rendered data gets bound into those field and it is turned into text. Unfortunately they are not interactive fields. There are acouple of people who have come up with ideas on how to accomplish this but they are usually very complex. Here is a blog post from John Brinkman (one of the father's of XFA) who has a nice solution (but complicated). Give it a try and see if it will be suffice for you.

Paul

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2009/10/editable_floating_fields.html

Former Community Member

Were you able to do this following that blog?

I am also pretty "green" even thought I took a training class for a couple days and have been using it a while.  I'm trying to create a contract with fill in information throughout the text.

Did you get yours figured out?

Level 4

We use form letters in our company that requires floating fields. Perhaps you can use the same technique for your contracts. You basically fill in the information in text fields (which do not print) which are globally bound to floating fields within the text.

The thread discussing how we do this is here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/865371?tstart=30

Hope this helps!

Jo