Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Populate Textfield with MS Access Data

Level 1

I am a complete novice to Adobe LifeCycle. I have been trying to find information that would assist with me what I am trying to do but examples are not really clear to me.I work for an educational institution that has a program that has a MS Access backend. A report is generated from MS Access that has all the records mapped to certain fields. I am trying to duplicate that report inside Adobe LifeCycle Designer.The reason I would like to use LifeCycle Designer is to implement Digital Signature for a process that is currently signed 3 times by different people throughout the college and the documents are hand delivered due to the information available on them.

I have looked at sample examples for Displaying All records from an ODBC Data connection and other documents about looking at specific records but still not clear on things. The database is laid out so information for each instructor for example consists of one row with about approximately 105 columns. And the database consists of hundreds if not thousands of records. I am trying to map each record to a text field, one for first name, last name, address etc. Specific to the instructor. I would like this to be done in batch so it would just spit out a PDF with a couple hundred pages depending on the data loaded. I have looked at the samples but I am not trying to load the data into a drop down box. And I don't want it to be interactive. I simply want a each instructors data to print out on one PDF page and go on until the End of File has been reached.

Any help will certainly be appreciated. I believe the code would be the same for each text field on initialize just getting the right code is throwing me off.

Thanks.

7 Replies

Level 10

May be you can try like this..

1) Create a form with Tables/ Columns/ Rows.

2) Check the checkbox "Repeat Row for each Data Item" for the Row.

2) Create a data connection with the MS Access database.

3) Then map the fields from the Data connections to the fields on the Form. By setting the Binding property of the field.

4) Test the form..

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

I will give your suggestions a try. Where exactly is the checkbox "Repeat Row for each Data Item?"

So once I create the Table is created simply drag a field into the row ...I am getting an error when previewing XML parsing error not well-formed (invalid token) (error 4). I don't believe I found fix in my searches.

I thought it would be necessary to write a JavaScript in order to load the data with the Initialize command and populate an array and increment after the information has been populated.

Thanks

Level 1

Srini,

I was able to find out to figure out my issues so that I could try your suggestions. The reason I was getting the XML error was because of the way the Database was laid out I removed spaces and non-standard characters and I can preview without an error.

So following your suggestion I created a Table. Set the Row to repeat. Created the Data connection and created the binding. When i preview the Form I just get the first row of data. I looked at the other options setting the Row to repeat but I can't seem to get anymore then one record.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Former Community Member

Hi,

Were you able to resolve this issue, i mean see all the records in the pdf.

I am aslo having the similar problem, if you have resovled this kindly let me know how it is done.

Thanks

Ds

Level 1

So far I have not been successful in getting all the records to load into the PDF form. Using the Control Buttons from this forum (http://forms.stefcameron.com/2006/09/18/connecting-a-form-to-a-database/) I am able to load one entire data set. Which may or may not work for my setup.

I have looked at this post (http://forms.stefcameron.com/2006/10/12/displaying-all-records-from-an-odbc-data-connection/), but I do not intend to populate a drop down box. But possibly I need to do something similar. Automating this as much as possible is my intention. Hope some of this helps you. If you have ideas or somethings that you have tried do share, possibly the two of us together could finally get this working.

Level 1

You can try like this..

1) Create a form with Tables/ Columns/ Rows.

2) Check the checkbox "Repeat Row for each Data Item" for the Row.

2) Create a data connection with the MS Access database.

3) Then map the fields from the Data connections to the fields on the Form. By setting the Binding property of the field.

4) Test the form..

Thanks

http://www.joomlaartist.com/

Level 8

Check this post, hope it will help you.

I am using ASP.NET based on 3-tier architecture:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3640711#3640711

If you are intending to bind Adobe LiveCycle Form directly to MS Access, this is called 2-tier, which is not recommended and full of trouble, especially if the number of user is more than 5.

Tarek.