Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to convert numbers to text in a form created in LiveCycle Designer?

Level 2

I am relatively new to Livecycle Designer and very much a newbie with JavaScript and FormCalc.  I have created a Conditional Sales Contract form and when the user enters a dollar amount (1548.95) I would like to know how to  auto fill a text field with its text equivalent ( One Thousand Five Hunderd and Fourty-eight dollars and ninety-five cents).  I have found two forums explaining how to do this in Acrobat 8 but nothing in LiveCyle Designer.   Can this be done in LiveCycle and can anyone please help me with the script?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Peter,

You could move the WordNum function to the calculate event of the text field (might be a better place for it anyway).

So you would have something like;

WordNum(NumericField2

, 2)

Bruce

----- form1.#subform[1].DollarAmountText::calculate: - (FormCalc, client) ------------------------------

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 10

FormCalc has a WordNum function that will do this.  So maybe on the exit event of the dollar amount field you could have;

DollarAmountText

= WordNum($ , 2)

Where DollarAmountText is the field to show the text equivalent. "$" is FormCalc's way of referring to the current field and "2" means monetary value with cents.

Level 2

Thanks for the help, I can see how that FormCalc script works on exiting a field where the dollor number has been entered but what do I need to add to it in a field where the amount has been simply carried forward from a calculated field.  Currently in this number field is:

----- form1.#subform[1].DollarAmount::calculate: - (FormCalc, client) ------------------------------

NumericField1[8]

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Peter,

You could move the WordNum function to the calculate event of the text field (might be a better place for it anyway).

So you would have something like;

WordNum(NumericField2

, 2)

Bruce

----- form1.#subform[1].DollarAmountText::calculate: - (FormCalc, client) ------------------------------

Level 2

Thanks very much for your help Bruce that's done it!!

Former Community Member

Hi,

Using the WordNum formcalc function, how can i get the output without the "Dollars" and "cents"?

thanks,

Level 10

Hi stejpal,

Just leave of the second argument, that is just use WordNum(NumericField2)

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hi Bruce,

Yes, but this will not also print in words any figure after the decimal. i.e. Amount = 1.25, with wordmum(Amount), the output is One. i want it to print One and Twenty Five as it should.

with wordnum(amount, argument), i get "dollars" and "cents" in the output. can i get the output without "dollars" and "cents" as part of the output.

thanks in advance.

Level 10

I see what you mean, very annoying.  I can only guess you could try something really hacky like;

Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(WordNum(x,2

), "Dollars ",""), "Dollar ",""), "Cents", ""), "Cent", "")

Sorry

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hey Bruce,

thanks man. the replace works great.  i dont mind being hacky .

thanks again,

Former Community Member

Hi Bruce,

Can I add prefix and suffix to the converted text?

eg.  "SAY US ONE HUNDRED SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS AND SIXTY FIVE CENTS ONLY."

Can I make the converted text auto upper case?

Thanks

Jay

Level 2

Hi I'm new to learn Live cycle Designer and very much a newbie with JavaScript and Form Calc.  I have created a Manual form(Amount and Amount in word) in amount Field entered value (100000 INR) I would like to know how to  auto fill a text field with its text equivalent ( One lakhs only).

But the value come Different :One Hundred Thousand only.(I think this is Us Relevant,but I don't need this.i want India Format)

I wrote code in Formcalc:

Concat(WordNum(amount),space(1),"Only").

then try WordNum(amount)

Level 1

Hi Jain,

I am also looking for the Indian currency in adobe form. could you help to solve that.

Thanks,

Bijesh RB.

Level 1

how to convert words to numbers using adobe