Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Help with an order form

Level 1

I'm a newbie to javascript and need help with the simplest way to create an order form.  The fields required are Order No., Description, Unit, Price, Quantity and Total.  The user would enter an order number which would automatically complete the Description, Unit and Price fields.  I have 448 products on the order form.

Product used:

Adobe Livecycle Designer ES in Adobe Professional 9 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

There are a few things to consider first:

• Where is the data coming from? Will the form connect to a database?
  • Is the data in an XML file?
  • Will it be OK to hard wire the data into the form? This is harder to maintain.

448 is a lot of codes for the user to process. Can these be split into groups, so that one dropdown with 10 options, would populate second with say 40 options.

What you are looking for is possible, but will require some scripting to get it to work and will probably require maintenance going forward.

Maybe a bit more info would help,

Niall

Steve has a solution for you ;-)

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Take a look at the attached. It has a drop-down that contains part numbers which results in the description and unit price being added to the row.

Untitled.png

Steve

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

There are a few things to consider first:

• Where is the data coming from? Will the form connect to a database?
  • Is the data in an XML file?
  • Will it be OK to hard wire the data into the form? This is harder to maintain.

448 is a lot of codes for the user to process. Can these be split into groups, so that one dropdown with 10 options, would populate second with say 40 options.

What you are looking for is possible, but will require some scripting to get it to work and will probably require maintenance going forward.

Maybe a bit more info would help,

Niall

Steve has a solution for you ;-)

Level 1

I noticed the restriction at the bottom of the attachment.  What exactly does this mean?  Does this place a restriction on copying code?

Level 1

The form will not be connected to a database.  The data is in an excel spreadsheet.  Can the spreadsheet somehow be linked to the form?  The drop down will have the item numbers 1 - 448 listed.  Grouping is not possible.  Thanks for your help.

Former Community Member

You could export the spreadsheet as XML and then bind the XML to the drop-down.

Steve