Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to configure an email endpoint

Level 4
Hi,

I am trying to configure an emailendpoint for my process but I'm having trouble with retrieving some email information.

Is this documented somewhere?

One problem at the moment is to retrieve the SendDate or ReceiveDate from an email. How do I make the mappings for this?

The other one is when I configure the emailendpoint to retrieve Attachments, I did this by mapping *.* to an Map-collection. Now I can get the attachments stored in the Map-collection, this works fine. But when there are no attachments at the email I keep getting an NullPointerException and my process is not invoked. But my process needs to be invoked with or without attachments.

Thanks in advance,
32 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Ronny

I had posted the dos prompt for some one else who could not connect to the mail server,were you able to solve your problem,if not let me know may be I can help

Level 4
Hi WorkflowUser,

My problem is not the connection to the mailserver. The connection works fine only have I got problems when I map the emailattachments with '*.*' to an Map/List variable in my process and there are no attachments to the email.

I then get a NullPointerException. This NPE only occurs when I try to retrieve the attachments and there are non. In my process I don't do anything yet with the variables. I only have a variable logger that print the variables to the system logger and to the filesystem.

Regards

Level 4
Hi,

is there absolutly nobody that can help me? nobody ever done this before?

this seems like a very basic functionality that would be used a lot.

Regards,

Former Community Member
Hi All,

I am running my application on Linux Env and it is not able to process the emails which are coming to configured email account. EndPoint is defined properly. Mails which I am sending are coming to Inbox of Outlook, however application is not able to process them. Following is the error which I am seeing in the log file. Help pls.

r> <IDPSchedulerService_Worker-15> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1205775909030> <000000> <Input params are --------->

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.scheduler.scan.impl.AbstractScanJob> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <IDPSchedulerService_Worker-15> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1205775909030> <000000> <{Application Package.pdf=<document state="passive" senderVersion="0" persistent="false" senderPersistent="false" passivated="true" senderPassivated="false" deserialized="false" senderHostId="null" callbackId="0" senderCallbackId="0" callbackRef="null" isLocalizable="true" isTransactionBound="false" defaultDisposalTimeout="600" disposalTimeout="600" maxInlineSize="65536" defaultMaxInlineSize="65536" inlineSize="0" contentType="application/pdf" length="-1"><cacheId/><localBackendId><DocumentFileID fileName="/opt/apm/newhire/adobe/temp/AdobeDocumentStorage/local/docm1205775908318/10c4c7407426b14ed2bc7823d084b475"/><localBackendId/><globalBackendId/><senderLocalBackendId/><senderGlobalBackendId/><inline/><senderPullServantJndiName/><attributes file="Application Package.pdf" JKFileOrder="2"/></document>}>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.workflow.AWS> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '5' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <BEA1-07437255F3806B51C843> <> <1205775909426> <000000> <Invoking action synchronously>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.workflow.AWS> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '5' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <BEA1-07437255F3806B51C843> <> <1205775909437> <000000> <Invoking action synchronously>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.workflow.AWS> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '5' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <BEA1-07437255F3806B51C843> <> <1205775909627> <000000> <Invoking action synchronously>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.impl.EmailWriterImpl> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '5' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1205775909971> <000000> <EmailWriterImpl error : Illegal character in local name>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.impl.write.EmailResultHandlerImpl> <Server Name> <NHDev-Mgserver> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '5' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1205775909990> <000000> <Failed to send email Error = Internal error.>

####<Mar 17, 2008 1:45:09 PM EDT> <Error> <com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.impl.write.EmailResultHandlerImpl> <> <NHDev-Mg

Level 9
I'd like to offer a couple of comments:

1. You DO have a connection problem:

>>Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25;

Are you running your smtp server on localhost? I doubt it. You may want to configure your server and port correctly.

2. You can use Email Receiver without Java code. You simply set up a singleton process, that checks for an email, waits for a while, and loops forever.

3. See this thread...

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3bc459d6

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Level 4
Hi Howard,

1. For the second time I do not have a connection problem. Why would I need to configure SMTP when I don't want to use it. It is not mandatory and only used to send results or error messages to.

2. A couple of weeks a go I recieved a patch from Adobe Support regarding this issue, they confirmed th eproblem of NullPointerException when there are no attachments to an email and there is a mapping made to retrieve them. And after installing this patch I don't get the NullPointerException anymore.

3. I use the Email Receiver now because I also needed to retrieve HTML-body from the emails and the Email Endpoint does not support this, but this brings along another problem:

every time this Email Reciever wants to read an email and there is none on the mailserver it throughs an error and wrights a record into the database. This is pretty annoying because when we poll the email every 15 seconds with 3 or 4 process instances running for different emailaccounts the database just keeps growing and growing while the application does not do anything. Still waiting for an awnser from Adobe Support on this one.

Regards,

Level 4
Hi Howard,

Maybe a little apologies towards you. I haven't been following this thread some time now and I forgot that I mentioned the SMTP error.

So, sorry for my last reply.

But then again, if I don't want to use SMTP and the configuration is not mandatory why does it throw an error if I don't configure it?

My initial problem was the NullPointerException when retrieving the attachments and when there are none in the email and I was replying towards that.

This is solved by a patch I got from Adobe Support.

Regards,

Ronny

Former Community Member
Can anybody help with my problem what I am facing? I have pasted the logs. Or is it related to same problem what you are discussing with Adobe patch?

Thanks in advance.

Former Community Member
Hi All,<br /><br />I am facing another issue. I am seeing below info message in my log file, since it started coming.. Application is not able to receive any email and not able to process as well. Has any one got this problem and do you know the fix for this?<br /><br />####<Mar 20, 2008 5:04:48 PM EDT> <Info> <com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.impl.EmailReaderImpl> <prdweb329> <ProdMgr> <IDPSchedulerService_Worker-15> <<anonymous>> <> <> <1206047088459> <000000> <EmailSource is Locked: newemailid@app01exchange>

Level 4
Hi pavyak,

No idea what the problem is.

EmailSource is Locked: maybe your email account is locked by the Outlook that you are using? or username or password is wrong?

Regards,

Ronny Ruyters

Former Community Member
Ronny,

Email account is working fine and even the userid/password are correct one. Once I restart the server, application starts behaving normally. I have seen this issue already twice and the only solution is to restart the servers.

Level 9
Hi Ronny

Sorry about late reply, I missed this thread.

You're correct, using EmailReceiver in a looping process does have the downside that a lot of data ends up being written into the audit trails.

I've heard that there is a feature request for adding a "Timer" end-point to a workflow. If this is implemented (and I have no idea whether it will), this will allow you to set up a short-lived process to do the email polling, and then you can use EmailReceive without a whole lot of unnecessary rows in the database.

This might be a good one to log with Adobe support, to try to add a voice to getting this implemented soon.

The issue with SMTP - the underlying reason for that might be that when a process stalls, LiveCycle tries to send an email to the administator - that might be the real cause of the exception???

Howard