Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is the best practice with regard to properties and companies?

Level 2

Hi Team!

Which is the best practice that I have mentioned below?

1. Have single property with multiple companies 

2. Multiple properties with multiple companies

3. Have multiple properties in a single company

4. Have multiple companies in a single property

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is multiple approach you can take but the main thing to keep in mind is that it needs to be maintainable. The more web properties aka containers you have, then the more release you will need to do each time a new extension or a new functionality needs to be deployed, This might become a nightmare to maintain.

You should not think about it in terms of domains as in most big companies, different brand domains are ultimately served by the same platform.

In this case a platform is the project/application that serves the website. For example if the different website domains are served using AEM then the platform would be AEM. If it is a React APP then it would be core repo of the React project. Each platform will provide a set of common functionalities so it is easier to create one container for each platforms. You should then name your rules, data elements an so on accordingly to make sure to identify correct cell that use the platform. Check this https://dev.to/alcazes/adobe-launch-tagging-standards-3aak

For example in our company I look after a container that is linked to a React application. Each cell has its own repo and its own React app but they all use the same core library and core MI library that populate a data layer with all the details required for tagging. So we have 5 cells using the same container. As I am using a data layer, I only have 15 rules to manage all marketing pixels and analytics interaction. Pretty easy to maintain. 

In terms of companies and containers, I would say a container should not span more than one company, this way you sure that correct data is sent to correct company. Now if you business is a business of Brands, meaning that while for customers they see 5 distinct brands but ultimately it is managed by your parent company that owns the brands then it is ok to use the same container. In my use case, while we have 5 cells using 1 container, in reality each cell has between 2 to 4 brands with nearly identical journeys. All the tagging is managed centrally by one container.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Sathya_Murugaiyan 

It's really depends on how the organizations / business has been setup and how they want the data to be reported in analytics. 

Each domain/company has different so I would suggest to use one property for one domain / company this way you have very granular approach to maintain and customized rules, data elements etc. 

There might be possibility where you need a common functionality in every business where you need eVar, props, events in this case you need to do the change in each properties. 

Another case suppose that you have multiple websites based on one common template and you want to track the same assets on all of them then you can apply one property to multiple domains/companies.

Hope this helps. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is multiple approach you can take but the main thing to keep in mind is that it needs to be maintainable. The more web properties aka containers you have, then the more release you will need to do each time a new extension or a new functionality needs to be deployed, This might become a nightmare to maintain.

You should not think about it in terms of domains as in most big companies, different brand domains are ultimately served by the same platform.

In this case a platform is the project/application that serves the website. For example if the different website domains are served using AEM then the platform would be AEM. If it is a React APP then it would be core repo of the React project. Each platform will provide a set of common functionalities so it is easier to create one container for each platforms. You should then name your rules, data elements an so on accordingly to make sure to identify correct cell that use the platform. Check this https://dev.to/alcazes/adobe-launch-tagging-standards-3aak

For example in our company I look after a container that is linked to a React application. Each cell has its own repo and its own React app but they all use the same core library and core MI library that populate a data layer with all the details required for tagging. So we have 5 cells using the same container. As I am using a data layer, I only have 15 rules to manage all marketing pixels and analytics interaction. Pretty easy to maintain. 

In terms of companies and containers, I would say a container should not span more than one company, this way you sure that correct data is sent to correct company. Now if you business is a business of Brands, meaning that while for customers they see 5 distinct brands but ultimately it is managed by your parent company that owns the brands then it is ok to use the same container. In my use case, while we have 5 cells using 1 container, in reality each cell has between 2 to 4 brands with nearly identical journeys. All the tagging is managed centrally by one container.