Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Layout Container Not Inheriting Grid Size from Parent

Level 4

When adding components inside a Tab or Accordion component extended from AEM Core Components, the grid layout of inner container/component is not inheriting from parent Layout Container component, but instead has default 12 column grid. The Responsive Grid editor to resize the component inside of the Tab or Accordion Layout Container however is listening to the size of the Layout Container parent component that the Tab or Accordion is in. 

For instance, I have a template that has a two-column layout with an 8 column width section and a 4 column width section. When I place a Tab or Accordion inside of the 8 column width section using a Layout Container as the primary Tab or Accordion component, the grid size of the LC inside the Tab or Accordion is set to 12 but the component I pull into the Tab or Accordion LC can only be resized to an 8 column width grid. If I size this component down to a 6 and then try to size it back up to full width, the max it can go is 8. I am not able to the the Responsive Grid editor to size the nested component to anything above an 8. If the LC in the Tab or Grid was set to 8, the 8 of the child component would be see as full width but because the nested LC is a 12 and the child can only go to 8, it's not filling the full width of the Accordion or Tab anymore. I have to go through CRX to remove the responsive node or modify it manually through CRX.

jetate_0-1649450469234.png

The only thing I can find that come close to describing the issue is in the Core Components issues - -https://github.com/adobe/aem-core-wcm-components/issues/1133 -- where it says that this is a problem with the OOTB Responsive Grid handling but currently has no alternative. 

Is there any knowledge of this kind of nesting issue with the Responsive Grid editor? Is there a way around it or to force inheritance for nested Layout Containers without modifying the width in CRX?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

For the main template that I'm having issues with, we have Layout Containers set to 8 columns and 3 columns with a 1 offset to create a two column page layout. I was able to solve the problem with the nested Layout Containers on this template by creating a new policy for each of the Layout Container children within these narrower Layout Containers with the number of columns under Responsive Settings to match the parent's number of columns. This appears to solve the issue we've been having with responsiveness on this template.

jetate_0-1649692505348.png

I can still recreate the issue if I nest several Tab components or Accordion components in a 12 column width Layout Container and then narrow one of the components and put another Tab or Accordion inside of that. Without being able to define a smaller number of columns at the component level, it will reset to 12 and have the same issue where the child LC cannot be made larger than the narrower parent, however, this is unlikely to be something we need to do so the above solution is tolerable.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 6

@jetate ,

Can you please check the dialog configurations of the parent layout container once and make sure that's it's set to responsive grid layout.

Community Advisor

Hi,

I am not sure, if you can use css to fix this. It is just an idea.

Can you check in weretail if the same issue persists?

Arun Patidar

Correct answer by
Level 4

For the main template that I'm having issues with, we have Layout Containers set to 8 columns and 3 columns with a 1 offset to create a two column page layout. I was able to solve the problem with the nested Layout Containers on this template by creating a new policy for each of the Layout Container children within these narrower Layout Containers with the number of columns under Responsive Settings to match the parent's number of columns. This appears to solve the issue we've been having with responsiveness on this template.

jetate_0-1649692505348.png

I can still recreate the issue if I nest several Tab components or Accordion components in a 12 column width Layout Container and then narrow one of the components and put another Tab or Accordion inside of that. Without being able to define a smaller number of columns at the component level, it will reset to 12 and have the same issue where the child LC cannot be made larger than the narrower parent, however, this is unlikely to be something we need to do so the above solution is tolerable.