Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Preview with Content Viewer on iPad?

Level 2

I have students creating DPS projects who just want to display/use them in a gallery setting on an iPad, without publishing the app. Currently we do this with the Content Viewer app on the iPads. What is the CC 2015 version of this??? I can't find anything in the User Guide or documentation I have seen so far.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, it's out for Android and Windows and we're just waiting on Apple to approve the iOS version. It's pretty sweet, the team worked really hard to make a great experience and I personally believe it's way more useful than the previous Adobe Content Viewer app. We have even more cool stuff for it coming!

I was the one that made the call to leave the Preflight app until after DPS 2015. The alternative was to hold back the entire DPS 2015 product from customers who were hungry to start playing with all the new capabilities until we had the preflight app completed, and I suspect everyone in this forum wouldn't have been too pleased about that

Neil

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Level 6

At this time, DPS 2015 requires an app to view content and experience.

There is no Adobe Content Viewer for DPS 2015 at this time.

If you're teaching content design and production, the 2015 versions of DPS and InDesign are likely more difficult than the 2014 version.

Level 2

Thanks! I will work with our staff to make InDesign CC 2014 available for our users who want to work with DPS.

I'm going to send a follow up message to the DPS support group - the DPS 2015 paradigm is not a good option for EDU settings unless things change in the future.

Level 2

my problem exactly. so there is no work around and no cc2015.1 fix in the offing, yes? the solution then is getting IT--at two colleges, no less!--to reinstall cc2014 just for me. unless of course adobe in its infinite wisdom has decided to delete more yet undiscovered features.

Employee

We are actively working on a similar app to Adobe Content Viewer for DPS 2015, but it'll take us a couple of releases to complete. We do understand the need for it!

Neil

Level 1

Same scenario here. I've been teaching DPS for a couple of years and feel the rug beeing pulled away from under my feet. InDesign was usable for prototyping user experiences on mobile devices but without the content viewer this use case is broken.

Level 2

Glad to know I'm not alone.

I used DPS as one of 3 units in an interactive indesign course, PDF and SWF being the other 2, DPS was, from the beginning, the flakiest of the 3. The techies at one site never could get content viewer to work on PCs with an institutional license and now they say they it doesn’t matter any more, because they can’t keep 2014 and 2015 going simultaneously anyway.

My work around is to make the 3rd unit a fixed layout epub project. I’ve installed “adobe digital editions,” adobe’s epub reader and the browser-based alternative, the “readium” app for chrome. On my solo machine they work pretty good, readers for android much less so. It's still a work in progress. Any suggestions?

I used to consider adobe a good partner in my design and teaching efforts, but more and more they are become just another corporation out for my, my students’ and my school’s money. No amount of evangelizing is going to convert me back without some good news, i.e. updates that are actual improvements for me.

Employee

Hi guys,

As I mentioned two posts above we understand the need for an on-device preview app that doesn't require iOS certificates or a developer account. We're actively working on it (I just had three engineers at my door with some design questions as they work on implementation). It takes time to get done though!

Neil

Level 2

I see the Preflight app has been released. Though still waiting for iOS approval.

If Adobe truly understood the need for such a function you wouldn't have release this new DPS2015 without that tool.

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, it's out for Android and Windows and we're just waiting on Apple to approve the iOS version. It's pretty sweet, the team worked really hard to make a great experience and I personally believe it's way more useful than the previous Adobe Content Viewer app. We have even more cool stuff for it coming!

I was the one that made the call to leave the Preflight app until after DPS 2015. The alternative was to hold back the entire DPS 2015 product from customers who were hungry to start playing with all the new capabilities until we had the preflight app completed, and I suspect everyone in this forum wouldn't have been too pleased about that

Neil

Level 2

so how do i get content viewer on my PC? I've downloaded dps tools 2015 and and updated indesign and nothing seems to have changed? still no folio builder or any way to preview apps on my desktop nor any documentation.

Employee

Hi,

There is no Folio Builder Panel for DPS 2015. DPS 2015 uses collections and articles and those are managed through the content section of the dashboard. If you want to view on your desktop you can use the DPS Preflight App. It supports Windows 8.1 and higher.

Documentation for DPS 2015 is available at Digital Publishing Solution Learn & Support. Here's the documentation on using the Preflight app: Digital Publishing Solution Help | Use the DPS Preflight app.

Neil

Level 2

thanks for the quick reply. but preflight seems to still want a paid-for and/or published app to work. what dashboard? what i want is a previewer like the epub and swf ones built into indesign. content viewer 2014 was kinda like that; it was easy to install on my machine, more difficult to get IT do do it at school, though.  is such a previewer not important to any one else besides someone trying to teach basics to would-be designers? designers who needn't become app monetizers just yet?.

Level 6

If you want to use and preview folios you’ll need to go back to InDesign CC2014

Level 2

So other than going back to cc2014 is there is no way for a student to preview his/her overlays work on a computer in the classroom?  will the every be some thing to do that? is there currently a workaround i don't know about--one that doesn't involve a cc subscriptions as students often do not have a CC subscription and there is no classroom licence as far as i can tell?  i'd like some advice on what to do next. even if its to give up and rewrite my lesson plan passing on DPS.

Level 6

They need a CC subscription for CC2014.

Beyond that, how you handle the lessons is your choice. But there’s no folios in CC2015 which only supports the new Digital Publishing Solution product. Folios need to be built in CS6, CC or CC2014.

Level 1

Is the iOS app available yet? I can't find it anywhere on the App Store, even though this page from Adobe says it's live.

Employee

There was a problem with the most recent app version, so it was temporarily removed from the store. The app will be available again as soon as Apple approves it.

Level 6

There was an issue with it and it was pulled. Update awaiting approval.

Level 6

Update approved. Now it's percolating through Apple's systems.

Link to the app: View on App Store