Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Plans for HTML Resources?

Level 6

Are there any plans to implement HTML Resources into DPS 2015?

The new PDF to DPS converter tool, is great and does a great job - though still has a few hiccups, however, it isn't going to work for our scenario.

We need embedded content that will open in an in-app window, allow us to explore the content, then close and be right were we were within the app. As an article, we can not duplicate that experience. We could duplicate the experience by hosting the PDFs online, however, since these are proprietary files that would require a secure login to view, online hosting of the PDFs is not a viable solution either.

Being able to attach external documents as embedded content to the app is a core functionality that is currently missing that is desperately needed in DPS 2015.

Are there any plans to implement this?

Thanks,

Tommy

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Tommy,

Why can't you replicate this with a .article file? If you use a navto link to go to the .article that is just your PDF it will, effectively, open it in its own window and when you close it you will be back to where you were. The "close" action is the back button in the UI instead of close, but it's the exact same hierarchy.

Neil

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Tommy,

Why can't you replicate this with a .article file? If you use a navto link to go to the .article that is just your PDF it will, effectively, open it in its own window and when you close it you will be back to where you were. The "close" action is the back button in the UI instead of close, but it's the exact same hierarchy.

Neil

Level 6

That's the route we're going to experiment with... I agree that it should work. We'll need to keep all of the PDF articles within a collection, but hidden so they're not able to be swiped to...  I'll keep you updated on it.

Employee

Don’t add the PDF articles to the collection at all. Just navto:// them by name directly. We call those “orphan” articles and they will open in their own view and won’t impact your collection structure, just like a PDF in HTMLResources would have.

Neil

Level 6

That's exactly what I wanted to try but wasn't sure if I could nav to an article outside of a collection. That's great!  Thanks Neil!

Level 5

Yes good to know you can have articles that aren't referenced in any collection and link to them for special purposes. Thumbs up.

Level 6

So Neil, we're still in a quandary regarding these converted PDF articles...  They are working great, and look great! However, it is critical to the client that these PDF articles are "embedded" and therefore available for offline viewing. Since they are not part of any collection (as orphan articles), is there anyway to have them explicitly downloaded, prior to being downloaded at view time?

Employee

Hi Tommy,

No, this isn’t possible at the moment. You’d have to put them in a collection called “Assets” or something, and then have the customer explicitly download those to guarantee offline viewing.

Neil

Employee

You might try adding these articles to a collection that does not appear anywhere in the TLC. You could then submit a background push to have that collection downloaded in the background. The links to the PDF articles would continue to have the same cul-de-sac behavior, only the articles would already be downloaded and would still be available offline. Of course, your users would need to accept push notifications.

Level 6

Bob, that sounds like a great approach. How do we submit a background push for a collection?

Employee

Use the Notifications section of the DPS Portal. In this example, I would be sending a background push notification for a collection called "Slideshows."

notifications.png

Digital Publishing Solution Help | Send push notifications

Level 6

Cool! Didn't realize that you could push a collection! Thanks!