Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Entitlement

Level 2

I read the documentation and found:

WHEN YOU CREATE AN APP WITH DIRECT ENTITLEMENT, retail collections are not hidden at this time. 

for enterprise customers, will be important to hide content (even collections) if not entitled.
So before the user login id it shouldn't see anything that is protected, not event the collection that contains the articles.
Will this be possible in the final release?
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Paolo,

This won't be possible in the initial release, but we're aware of the importance of this for enterprise customers and it's a top priority for us to address after launch.

Neil

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Paolo,

This won't be possible in the initial release, but we're aware of the importance of this for enterprise customers and it's a top priority for us to address after launch.

Neil

Level 2

Thanks Neil,

That is too, bad.

With the current release we managed to do it with a custom library, that presented only the folio a user had entitlement for, after login.

I'm guessing that custom libraries are not supported in the new version?

This means that we won't be able to take advantage of the new release until it will provide this functionality .

Employee

It’s actually a good thing ☺ Right now you’re being forced to build a custom storefront just so you can require your user to log-in before seeing content. In my opinion that’s an awful lot of work for something that should be a basic part of the product: get people to log in before they can see anything.

We’re looking at ways to enable your scenario in new, easier, ways with Digital Publishing Solution. It just won’t be there at launch.

Neil

Level 2

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Just one more question, the entitlement will be by collection or even by single article?

Employee

Entitlement is granted by the collection and gets applied to the articles within that collection.

Neil

Level 1
Level 1

Hi Neil,

just to clarify, the "ungranted" users will be able to see the collections but not the articles within this collection right ?

Employee

Hi Florent,

When we do the restricted distribution feature the cards will be hidden for collections the reader isn't entitled to. This is similar to what happens in the current DPS: the folios are hidden when you aren't entitled to them.

Neil

Level 2

Hi Neil,

me again

I was hoping Restricted Distribution to be available with the last 2015.5 update but ... well

Can you reassure corporate users (who are only waiting for this to publish their DPS2015 apps) that it's still in the roadmap ?

Employee

It's a complicated feature that takes time to build, but we are actively working on it.

Neil

Level 2

How far away is it, Neil?

I was shocked to read that it's still not implemented, as I am just about to start the development of a Direct Entitlement Service for a corporate app.

Toni

Employee

Hi Toni,

Unfortunately I can’t provide an estimated date. As I mentioned above it’s an incredibly complicated feature and we want to ensure we get it right.

Neil

Level 2

About that, good news here today :

Enterprise apps that drive results: What’s coming next with DPS | Adobe Digital Publishing Solution

...and other very cool features!

can't wait to see that... the demo video is great!

Level 2

Hi Neil,

just that I can at least continue to plan the development of the direct entitlement:

API V2 will still be the way to go?

Regards,

Toni

Employee

Direct entitlement is already supported, and yes, uses the v2 API.

Neil

Level 2

Another question:

will it be possible to have different launch collections, depending on what you are entitled to?

Employee

Yes. The top-level collection is no different than any other collection in that regard. We’ll check to see whether the logged in reader is entitled to the collections inside the TLC, and hide them if not.

Neil

Level 3

I have another question:

will it be possible to have free content that can be viewed when you are not logged in, but is hidden or replaced by other things when you are logged in?

I guess no, because you can only allow access and not refuse it by direct entitlement, right? If so, does anyone have a workaround for the scenario above?

Regards,

Toni

Employee

With the next release, we'll support "restricted collections," which are hidden from the app unless users are signed in. However, I can't think of a way to hide free content after users sign in.

Level 3

Thanks Bob!

Just to explain the concept a bit further:

B2C users should work without login and should see basic marketing material.

B2B users should have a login and should see the relevant information for their business.

Just a thought:

Could the basic information in one free collection and all other entitled collections above it in sorting hierarchy? If the top-most collection builds the starting browse page (as seen here) only not logged in users would see the free content on the browse page. Logged in users would see it as the last item of the flyout menu though. But with the right name, that could be ok as it is not secret material but just not important for them.

Did I understand it right? Do you think that could work?

Thanks,

Toni

Employee

That sounds like it could work, but I don't have a clear picture of what you're trying to do. It will be easy enough to test after this Friday's release. Let's pick up this discussion after the release, when it'll be easy to create a test app with restricted ("hidden until signed in") collections.