Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Dual article orientation

Level 4

Hi guys - I've seen posts in the pasts where Adobe planning on releasing an update to DPS that allows a publisher to have two articles with two different orientations within one collection. e.g. Blue Collection can have Blue Article 1 in vertical orientation and Blue Article 2 in horizontal orientation. When is this update going to be released? I have a client who would like to use full page bleeds to exhibit his vertical and horizontal images and can't do that with the new DPS 2015 until this is released. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

No, that's not right. You can add portrait and landscape fixed-layout articles to the same collection, and they'll both display, but one will have severe letterboxing. And if you rotate the device, nothing will change. I believe the feature you're referring to would allow users to rotate the device to display the article in a different rotation, such as a landscape spreadsheet in a portrait app. That's not available yet.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Level 4

Hi guys - haven't gotten an answer on this yet or the previous question I posted. If I wanted the articles that I publish in DPS to be published from Magento - is this possible using Adobe Experience Manager?

Employee

Hi David, there aren't any plans to allow two different articles to appear based on the device orientation. We have had discussions about enabling dual-orientation apps; however, I don't have a good timeline for when we would enable that. The scope still relies on a single article file for both views. If you create HTML articles then the article would take up the entire screen in both orientations. For fixed-layout designs from InDesign the content would scale up to fill the width or height, then letterbox or pillbox (depending on orientation).

Regarding Magento integration, I'm not really sure. I sent your message to a couple folks who may know better than I.

Level 4

So right now if I have an article in landscape orientation and another article in portrait orientation, I cannot have those two articles in the same collection - even if the articles are in HTML. Further Adobe has no current plans as to when to introduce such a feature?

Correct answer by
Employee

No, that's not right. You can add portrait and landscape fixed-layout articles to the same collection, and they'll both display, but one will have severe letterboxing. And if you rotate the device, nothing will change. I believe the feature you're referring to would allow users to rotate the device to display the article in a different rotation, such as a landscape spreadsheet in a portrait app. That's not available yet.

Level 4

Hey Bob, thanks for the note. I want there to be certain article that display horizontal images horizontally that bleed off of the iPad (full screen) and certain articles that display vertical images vertically that bleed off of the iPad (full screen). I get that one collection doesn't have dual orientation, which I totally support. Hell, I'd even get that an entire horizontal collection wouldn't allow me to have vertical images... but I forgot that the entire app has to be either vertical or landscape. Very disappointing. Is there any chance this feature will change to allow more than one orientation per app? I'm going to guess that this isn't a big feature demand on DPS's part.

Employee

Hi David, offering the ability to configure an app as dual orientation is something we have discussed at length and there is a chance we add it. I don't have a timeline, though.

Note that the letter/pillar-boxing behavior that Bob alludes to above wouldn't change for articles generated from InDesign; however, HTML articles would take up the full screen.

Level 2

Bob you said "not available yet" Is there a timeline when the articles will be able to be dual orientation? Want to know if I need to rebuild my existing folios or if there will be fix on the way soon.

Level 5

Who reads portrait and flips to landscape and back again? Its not on my roadmap either... poor user experience and I agree that DPS sticks to portrait or landscape only and not 'dual'...

Level 6

I shouted that from the mountaintops from day one. With very, very few exceptions it creates a horrible experience for a reader.

Level 4

While I agree that a dual orientation within the same issue would make a terrible reading experience, why confine every issue of an entire app to the same orientation? You force an app publisher to stick to one orientation for the entire app. You don't even give them the opportunity to offer a special issue in a different orientation. Why can't publishers make one Collextion portrait and the other landscape within the same app?

Level 6

Just to be clear…I didn’t say there were no exceptions.

Level 5

Still don't like the thought of the dual nav within the same app.

Level 2

We have hundreds of layouts designed horizontally using InDesign that we would like to have as an archives in the new app. While I agree that its not a great user experience to have different orientations in the same app, I think it is even worse experience to have them letter-boxed like they have to be now. So what is the point of having responsive design if we cannot use it in the app?

Level 6

You can…with HTML. You’ve never been able to with InDesign.

Level 2

So Bob I am missing on HOW you do it,  if you say: "You can.. with HTML"

How do I put an horizontal (responsive HTML5) article into a vertical app?

_____

Edited after re-reading your statement a bunch of times:

"You’ve never been able to with InDesign." what is that supposed to mean? with the old version of DPS you CAN have an app that handles vertical, horizontal, and multi formatted articles.

I am not asking for the app to be multi, I just want to open up a horizontal PDF,  horizontal web page or an old folio all horizontally in a vertical app made with DPS 2015.

Level 5

InDesign and DPS Classic (2014) would let you assign two separate inDesign layouts as the sources for the Vertical and Horizontal displays for the same article. This no longer works in DPS 2015 (2016?)

HTML can be set up as responsive, which means that one HTML layout can "respond" to how it is being displayed and therefore the design adapts to the orientation, and one layout serves as the source of both the Vertical and the Horizontal displays for the one article. This works in both DPS 2015(2016?) and DPS Classic (2014)) because HTML is a separate technology unto itself and in this case both instances of DPS are simply letting you display HTML.

Hope this helps,

Level 2

okay so what I am not getting is how it works in the new DPS Solution. I have created HTML5 responsive articles using the HTML packager, but when they are are in a collection they can only be viewed the same way the app is orientated. How can make an article to have the ability to be responsive?

Level 5

This is not possible at this time... its either portrait or landscape from an app layout perspective.

Level 5

You can't set the article to be responsive. Only the HTML that the article is displaying. In the case of HTML, think of the article as a frame or container for the HTML.

Can you post screenshots of what your article looks like in each orientation? Are you saying that the HTML looks "sideways" when you rotate to landscape?

Level 6

In DPS 2015, that app controls the orientation of content. The tablet and phone can use different orientations.

Responsive HTML can present the article content differently on a landscape iPad and portrait iPhone -- and that same article might show differently on an Android or Windows screen all depending on how you write the code.

BUT all articles on iPad will be shown as landscape because of the app setting. And if you were to put an InDesign-generated portrait article into this app, it would scale to show the entire page and pillar box the page (assuming paginated article.)

At this time, the app is single orientation.

Sometime in the future, we may get article orientation independence -- but no dual orientation support.

HTH