Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Where do form templates (XDP files) reside in Adobe LifeCycle ES4, 6.2 and 6.3

Level 5

Hi,

Where do the form templates physically reside when Adobe LifeCycle ES4, WebLogic 12c and Oracle database make up the environment?

Does the form templates reside in WebLogic. If the physical location of these templates are in Weblogic, in which file path would these forms be in the OS in which the WebLogic is running?

Why do the forms/templates reside in WebLogic instead of Adobe LifeCycle's aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments?

Thanks,

Leena

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @aemuser001,

Assuming that you use forms either for rendering services (orchestrations) or BPM (interactive workflows)...

The XDP files are stored in the "repository" and are linked to the applications you set up. References are stored in the Forms database, the assets themselves in the CRX repository. You can find them in /content/dam/formsanddocuments/<applicationname>/<version>

No files are stored in the application server filepath.

Upgrading ES4 or AEM Forms 6.1 to 3 is a process with many steps. The upgrade procedure would include the migration of the old ES4 assets (such as XDP forms) to the repository in AEM Forms 6.5.x

Kosta

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 9

If you are using AEM Forms OSGI you need to upload the templates and they will reside in the crx repository under content/dam/forms and documents folder 

they do not reside inside the web logic

if you were using livecycle and the xdp are in workbench then they will be residing in the file system

Employee Advisor

@aemuser001 

There are multiple ways to leverage form templates with AEM Forms 6.x and ES4.

When you upload the form template via Forms UI[0], the form is stored under the crx node structure. Similarly, whenever you use form template in any service invocation then the form template is stored as cache under the service's tmp folder of the application server.

If you could elaborate, how you are using Form templates then we can advise on the form persistence.

But the questions is why do you want to access the form template from the server directly, when you can access the same using UI as well.

[0] - aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments

Level 5

Thank you Girish & Pulkit for the quick response.

I am not familiar with Adobe LifeCycle ES4, 6.2 and 6.4 that uses J2EE framework. But I am using AEM 6.5 which uses OSGi framework. It uses jetty server instead of WebLogic. The AEM 6.5 Author instance is connected to Oracle schema and uses it to start the instance. The Publish instance uses CRX File System to start its instance.

Adobe LifeCycle ES4, I do not want to access the form templates directly from the server. I was informed that the form templates reside in WebLogic for Adobe LC ES4. I like to know where these form templates reside so we can take a backup or move to a different location before we decommission the Adobe LifeCycle ES4 servers. 

Thanks,

Leena

Employee Advisor

@aemuser001 Thanks for clarifying!

If the purpose of identifying the location is to take backup of the templates then you can take one from the client directly otherwise from the server. Again, what is the usecase implementation, how are you using Forms templates - with workbench or standalone?

Level 5

Hi Pulkit,

Can you please provide some information about your background, meaning your experience with Adobe LifeCycle ES4, just to get a better understanding of the responses.

1. I think the form templates are used with workbench. I need to confirm it and get back to you.

2. Can we just download the form templates from LC  client GUI and upload it to AEM 6.5? Will it work the same as before, or this needs to be done through proper upgrade process?

Thanks,

Leena

Employee Advisor

@aemuser001 

Well i have limited hands-on experience with Livecycle ES4 but based on my experience with other customers that are migrating the form template should work as expected with the latest.

You may refer to the helpdoc[0] for more information on various ways how to migrate form assets ONLY (ignore the JEE aspect) as packages to AEM Forms 6.x, based on use-cases.

In case you need dedicated or quick help over a call to understand the process, please feel free to raise a support ticket with us.

[0] - https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/aem-forms/6-3/upgrade-weblogic-livecycle.pdf 

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @aemuser001,

Assuming that you use forms either for rendering services (orchestrations) or BPM (interactive workflows)...

The XDP files are stored in the "repository" and are linked to the applications you set up. References are stored in the Forms database, the assets themselves in the CRX repository. You can find them in /content/dam/formsanddocuments/<applicationname>/<version>

No files are stored in the application server filepath.

Upgrading ES4 or AEM Forms 6.1 to 3 is a process with many steps. The upgrade procedure would include the migration of the old ES4 assets (such as XDP forms) to the repository in AEM Forms 6.5.x

Kosta

Level 5

Good Morning Everyone!,

Thank you everyone for all the responses and the useful information. It is greatly appreciated.

To respond to Pulkit's question if the templates are used in a Workbench or standalone, the templates are in standalone Adobe LC.

Have a good day and thanks again.

Leena