Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Cannot open forms with hidden sections from my Ipad

Level 1

I am trying to create a form to send to employees.  There are a number of sections that I want hidden until needed.  I have got this to work on my main computer and it tests well on Acrobat Reader.  It will not, however work when I email it or send it to One Drive to down load onto an Ipad.  I get a message that states it needs Reader version 8 or more to open, but I am using Version 12.  

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

To explain this:

Adobe Designer creates XFA based PDFs. If you save them as interactive dynamic PDFs then your viewer needs a plugin to render the XFA content. Only Adobe Reader or Acrobat on Desktop provide this functionality. If you save the form as static PDF (as was suggested) you loose the dynamic behavior but the PDF can be viewed on mobile devices (or also browsers such as Chrome). The message you see is a bit misleading, it comes from the times when XFA was added to Adobe Reader (version and older Readers would not be able to interpret the XFA based PDFs.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

was this form created using Designer? if yes it will not work on IPAD's or any other tablets

Employee Advisor

you can consider using AEM Forms server to render the XDP in HTML5 format or consider creating Adaptive Forms and present the Adaptive Forms to your users for filling the form. Once the form is submitted you can merge the data with your xdp template to generate the PDF for archival purposes. You will need to have AEM server with Forms Add On installed for this to work

Employee Advisor

or you can try the following

save the xdp as static pdf and try to open it on iPad using Reader

Employee Advisor

@SPBridges  Make sure you have reader extended the form

Correct answer by
Level 4

To explain this:

Adobe Designer creates XFA based PDFs. If you save them as interactive dynamic PDFs then your viewer needs a plugin to render the XFA content. Only Adobe Reader or Acrobat on Desktop provide this functionality. If you save the form as static PDF (as was suggested) you loose the dynamic behavior but the PDF can be viewed on mobile devices (or also browsers such as Chrome). The message you see is a bit misleading, it comes from the times when XFA was added to Adobe Reader (version and older Readers would not be able to interpret the XFA based PDFs.