Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Accessibility and dynamic forms

Level 2

Hi

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to create accessible, dynamic forms.

It is like cursed - I searched like 2 whole days on google, but I couldn't find a decisive answer. Adobe itself says the screen reader must be running, only then can Acrobat access tags in a dynamic PDF.

I tried that - and failed (I'm using the NVDA screen reader).

When I open the Tags panel in Acrobat, no tags are visible, and the properties window also shows: Tagged PDF: No

Can anyone shed some light on this question?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@marcink-lwR9iu 

For dynamic PDF forms, Accessibility tags are generated dynamically when the form is opened in Acrobat (and NOT when you save the form from Designer), provided a screen reader (ADA-compliant) application is already running. Otherwise, for performance reasons, accessibility tags are not generated. This is the way dynamic PDF forms are designed to be.

I believe you should be able to hear the content of the pdf shared using JAWS, so please run the JAWS/NVDA reader first and then open the dynamic PDF. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

@marcink-lwR9iu I remember vaguely that you can tag static pdf in acrobat.

Static PDF forms are different in that tags are generated at save time rather than load (run) time which explains why you see tags in the Static PDF but don't in the Dynamic PDF

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@marcink-lwR9iu 

For dynamic PDF forms, Accessibility tags are generated dynamically when the form is opened in Acrobat (and NOT when you save the form from Designer), provided a screen reader (ADA-compliant) application is already running. Otherwise, for performance reasons, accessibility tags are not generated. This is the way dynamic PDF forms are designed to be.

I believe you should be able to hear the content of the pdf shared using JAWS, so please run the JAWS/NVDA reader first and then open the dynamic PDF. 

Hope this helps!

Level 2

Thank, that sums it up nicely.

Now - WCAG 2.1 requires PDF to be tagged. I am aware, that dynamic forms will be tagged when I open the form, but there are 2 issues I see with WCAG compliance:

1. Up front, the screen reader sees an untagged form

2. I can not show a custom title in the window title.

How do I go about this 2 issues?

thanks

Employee Advisor

@marcink-lwR9iu

For point#1, this is how the pdf form is supposed to work. I don't see any reference to this reported issue here- https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/.

For point#2, please elaborate on the use case/ask.

Level 2

I'm refering to: Success Criterion 2.4.2 Page Titled

Right now, the file name is visible in window title, and I can't change it.