Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Storing Design Files in Assets

Level 1

Our design team currently store design files inconsistently and in an un-centralized location. We were hoping to use Assets for storage of live design files (InDesign files). Do you store design files (i.e. InDesign files) in Assets? If so, can you explain process, downfalls, benefits?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Natalie_Shanks_OneAmerica We should ideally keep final assets in DAM. However, if there is a need to upload work in progress assets too, it is advisable to maintain separate taxonomy/folder structures. This is needed to: 

1. Save Space/storage

2. Manage your assets better

3. Keep Final assets separately for live site usage.

4. Better searchability of assets.

You can create structures like:

content/dam/wip/images

content/dam/wip/documents

content/dam/final/images

content/dam/final/documents

Keep in mind your org folder structure too. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Natalie_Shanks_OneAmerica We should ideally keep final assets in DAM. However, if there is a need to upload work in progress assets too, it is advisable to maintain separate taxonomy/folder structures. This is needed to: 

1. Save Space/storage

2. Manage your assets better

3. Keep Final assets separately for live site usage.

4. Better searchability of assets.

You can create structures like:

content/dam/wip/images

content/dam/wip/documents

content/dam/final/images

content/dam/final/documents

Keep in mind your org folder structure too. Hope this helps.

Level 5

Hi @Natalie_Shanks_OneAmerica 

in one of my projects there were many units divided which were using DAM as storage for different kind of files. so yes as @diksha_mishra mentioned you can create hierarchy according to your needs.

And to answer the second part of your questions the process would be again on your use how do you want to upload a single file or Bulk upload it, you can upload directly or you can always implement custom solutions by discussing with AEM devs.

Downfalls would not be as such apart from that these are design files and you would want to edit them, i rule out this possibility since you mentioned you just need to store this.

Now coming to benefits part that would be significant such as:

• Optimized Storage: Only essential assets are stored in AEM, saving storage space.
  • Improved Performance: Smaller asset sizes lead to faster loading times and better overall performance.
  • Better Version Control: You can manage versions of extracted assets effectively within AEM.
  • Enhanced Search and Retrieval: Using the Assets API you can get the metadata on extracted assets.