Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

Language Copy and Live Copy Storage Usage - Reference or Duplication?

Level 1
Hey all! Question about images in a DAM and multi-language versions of that image's meta data. In 6.5 or Cloud, when a language copy or a live copy gets created (in the backend), does the actual image file get duplicated or is it completely a reference? I am wondering in regards to storage space as we have thousands of images that need translated meta (title...etc) data.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

@andrewb51216333 : Live copies are not just references but actual assets/pages.

They need their own storage space. I think are same as their original source with additional linkage with the source to sync/roll-out changes from the source.

You can see this in author instance in crxde lite as well.

thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

@andrewb51216333 : Live copies are not just references but actual assets/pages.

They need their own storage space. I think are same as their original source with additional linkage with the source to sync/roll-out changes from the source.

You can see this in author instance in crxde lite as well.

thanks.

Community Advisor

@andrewb51216333  You can enable binaryless translation to save storage/space, while creating language copies for assets. 

I followed these 2 docs for AEM 6.5 (AMS):

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/administer/best-practices-for-t... 
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/administering/introduction/tc-tic.html 

Here is what I did on my instance:
- disabled xmp write back workflow launcher 
- enabled out-of-the-box "Set last modified date" workflow launcher
- created a translation integration config. Go to Tools - Cloud Service - Translation Cloud Services
- In this config, make sure you uncheck the box for translating assets, and only enable it for tags and metadata (if desired). Also, set it to "Auto Execute Translation"
- apply that config to the folder containing your language folders.
- When doing translation for the first time, need to create translation project, and project can be re-used for all future translations. multi-lingual projects can also be used if needed.

Check for dam:sha1 property- should be same for all assets, signifying a binaryless translation. 

Level 1

This is super helpful. Thank you! Any idea on the differences between 6.5 and Cloud? Would this still be the recommended solution for Cloud?

Community Advisor

@AndrewBi2 I haven't tried that personally, but you can raise an Adobe support ticket, specifically for cloud to get more info.