Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to delete (reset) Marketing Cloud Visitor ID?

Level 3

Hi,

we are using MC Visitor ID Service + internal customer id  to identifiy customers.

We want to set up a welcome message for recignized customers somehow like Amazon  "Hi Michael, welcome back ... if you are not Michael click here"

If the users clicks on here, we want to reset the MC Visitor ID, as this is not the customer we have identified. 

My question: how should we reset the Visitor ID for Marketing Cloud? Just to delete the cookie AMCV and AMCVS? Or is there a method in Adobe Analytics?

Thanks,

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Michael,

I spoke with our Product Manager about your original question. Instead of deleting the AMCV, you would need to send the new CRM ID into setCustomerIDs() method in VisitorAPI. i.e. when the user clicks 'this is not me' set a new CRM ID. 

-Tacia

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 9

Hi Michael,

If the AMCV was cleared, the next time the ID service runs it would return the same mid as before. Meaning, it would act similar to cross domain tracking. Have you tested clearing it in a testing environment? My thought is it won't fully clear unless both the demdex and amcv cookie was cleared. Are you using Customer ID's for each customer?

-Tacia

Level 3

Hi Tacia,

you are right, you have to delete amcv + demdex cookies to get a new ID.

We are using Customer IDs for each customer, but in this case the user can be a new prospect, so we have to get a fresh ID from MCVID service. 

- Michael

Level 3

Hi Tacia,

the demdex cookie is set by demdex.net, so I cannot delete the cookie by script ... does Adobe provide a method to reset Marketing Cloud ID?

I think resetting manually the MCVID is really necessary in order to solve the following problem:

• current MCVID is tied to customer ID "customer_123"
  • new visitor says: I am not "customer_123" -> I am a prospect (and not another customer!) => new MCVID needed!

Any solution by Adobe ore anyone else?

Michael

Level 10

Michael,

I don't believe the Marketing Cloud ID Service has a method for requesting a new 'mid' value, as this would "cliff" that visitor in Analytics which is typically undesirable. The Marketing Cloud ID Service was designed to use the 'mid' value as the primary key for that visitor with Customer ID's as a secondary key. This way, you are able to give the same experience to a user across different devices/browser/sessions (assuming that user has been identified using a consistent customer ID via a login or other method on each device/browser/session)

Example:
Device            MID          Customer ID
Phone            123           ABC
Tablet             345           ABC
PC                  645          ABC

Using Customer Attributes, you could then upload CRM data that indicates CustomerID ABC is a "VIP Member". Next, you could create an audience in the Marketing Cloud to be used in a Target campaign where all "VIP Members" got a special offer. Finally resulting in that same visitor receiving that same experience across all their devices.

-----

Hopefully, this context helps you understand the way the ID Service was designed. As for your use case, how would a visitor be identified as customer ID "Customer_123" if they we'rent really that customer? It sounds as if your setting the Customer ID value before validating via login or another method.

-Jantzen

Level 3

Hi Jantzen,

our case is: two or more user are using the same desktop with different customer ids, you and your wife - how does Marketing Cloud handle this if we make a different experience for woman and men?

Example:

Device            MID          Customer ID    Customer Attributes
PC                  645          ABC                   male, 35 years, sport subscription
PC                  645          DEF                   female, 32 years, series subscription

That is why we think about "resetting" the MID. What do you think?

Regards, Michael

Level 10

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification, I think I understand your use case now. I've done a bit of asking around and it seems you might have the ability to return segments based on a specific profile in AAM.  Of course,  you'd need to have access to AAM and I'm not very familiar with the processes.  I'd suggest opening a ticket with the AAM support team and asking more about the profile merge rules.

This may end up being one of those use cases that is very hard, if not impossible, to accomplish since today's tracking is based on cookies and a set of users on the same browser are going to share those cookies.

Thanks,

Jantzen

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Michael,

I spoke with our Product Manager about your original question. Instead of deleting the AMCV, you would need to send the new CRM ID into setCustomerIDs() method in VisitorAPI. i.e. when the user clicks 'this is not me' set a new CRM ID. 

-Tacia

Level 10

Hi Michael,

Were you able to use Tacia's last response to complete your use case? Are you still in need of assistance here?

Thanks,
Jantzen

Level 1

Hi,

We set some of our app user's vid value to "anonymus" by mistake.

Is there a way to reset vid of these users if we dont want to use custom id set method manually?

Thank you.