Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Add/Modify a field to a table in the Database

Level 4

Hi,

I am on the premise server for about 2 years now. I wonder if it's save now to add field(s) by going to Tools > Advanced > Add new fields. Will it cause any issue to the system functionality and stability?

Also how can I edit the exiting field name in a table?

Thanks,

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi jasonw30638826

Any changes to Schema ideally should be followed by the 'Update database structure' step.

You are right, if the 'Yes' is highlighted under Synchronize (within the list of Schemas), it means indeed there was a change to the Schema and that needs to be updated. Complete the Update database structure Wizard and then log off from the Server, login again to view the added fields.

In case no Schema show up as highlighted in that list, or simply if there is a "No" under Synchronize, Update database structure is not required.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi jasonw30638826,

The Add a field functionality is pretty mature and should not cause any issues, but then we don't know what you are trying to add and how many rows there are in the table.

Adding a field will cause the DB structure to be updated, thus taking locks while doing so.

If the table has millions of rows, it can cause issues. We

will suggest that you take the system offline for external users, probably stop WFSERVER and MTA and then make the update.

Regarding editing the existing field name, you need to go to schema and find the corresponding attribute, only to change the label or name as per your requirement.

Then you should update the DB structure as well.

Regards,
vipul

Level 4

Hi Vipul,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd like to confirm with you for the steps below before adding the fields.

1. I will add about 5-10 date fields by going to Tools > Advanced > Add new fields
  2. Go to Configuration\Data sachems\Recipients(nms), then right click, click on regenerate selected schema
  3. Then go to Tools > Advanced > update database structure, then select Recipients(nms) to update the SQL to update the database structure
  4. Restart the application server

Can I skip step 3 and step 4? From this page, New field wizard , I don't see step 3, update database structure is mentioned.

When updating database structure is needed, will it be highlighted as the image shows below? If there is no highlight, does it mean no need to update database structure?

d_ncs_integration_schema_update_select.png

Thanks,

Jason

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi jasonw30638826

Any changes to Schema ideally should be followed by the 'Update database structure' step.

You are right, if the 'Yes' is highlighted under Synchronize (within the list of Schemas), it means indeed there was a change to the Schema and that needs to be updated. Complete the Update database structure Wizard and then log off from the Server, login again to view the added fields.

In case no Schema show up as highlighted in that list, or simply if there is a "No" under Synchronize, Update database structure is not required.