Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is the purpose of "Data Source" specified as part of Segment Creation

Level 3

Since a Segment can have traits from multiple data sources, how does AAM uses the Data Source specified as part of Segment Creation process? Are there any best practices/guidelines around what data source should be specified during Segment creation?

Thanks,

Archit

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi,

I always go off of my primary/biggest trait and it's associated data source & integration code.

I would usually in this instance start off with my CRM trait then include/exclude the analytics trait afterwards.

EDIT: Also, if you're using CRM data, it's likely you'll want to authenticate against it too - another reason to put this first

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

Hi architg36409633

Data sources in audience manger are name spaces that helps you organize your data.They are used for:

1.Data collection

2.Identifying users

3. Synching Ids

4.Merging profiles

When the data source is setup as "Cookie" then data will be collected  and associated with a profile based on identifier stored in browser cookie.

When the data source is setup as "Cross-device" then data will be collected  and associated with a profile based a customer-provided, authenticated ID.

Data source selection in case of rule based traits will not hamper the trait qualification,as they will be qualified on the basis real time website data.To better organize our data and associate the correct profile with the data collected,we need to make sure we are choosing the required data source.For more information on data source creation,please refer to doc here.

Level 3

Hi Shweta,

Thank you so much for your inputs. Actually, my question is not about the data sources in general but in context of Segments as to how AAM utilizes the Data Source specified as part of Segment creation. Since the traits included in a Segment can be from multiple data sources, what is the guideline for choosing the data source that should be specified in the Segment? Some of the deciding options can be:

1. Pick the data source tied to most of the traits included in the segment

2. Pick the cross device data source associated with the traits (but what if traits are from multiple cross-device data sources?)

3. Pick any data source that you like

Thanks,

Archit

Level 2

I was wondering about this too!

Lets suppose I want to combine 2 traits in a segment: 1) CRM trait AND 2) Analytics Trait

In this case which data source should I select when creating the segment?

Employee

Hi architg36409633

Thanks for writing us back.There are no specific guidelines as such while choosing data source for creating segment but yes when it comes to onboarded traits,the data source  type must be of cross device type.Also,your segment population and id sync would be dependent on the profile merge rule you have selected for creating segment.

If you want your segment profile to be associated with a profile based a customer-provided, authenticated ID then use the data source as "cross device" otherwise if you want your segment profile to be associated a profile based on identifier stored in browser cookie then use the data source as "cookie".

Regards,

Shweta

Level 1

Hello,

Data Source for Segments is currently used for segment organization and determining Role Based Access Controls for a user. It has no impact on profile realizations.

Thanks

Rafaat

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi,

I always go off of my primary/biggest trait and it's associated data source & integration code.

I would usually in this instance start off with my CRM trait then include/exclude the analytics trait afterwards.

EDIT: Also, if you're using CRM data, it's likely you'll want to authenticate against it too - another reason to put this first

Hope this helps