Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!
SOLVED

Set up "Spam" based on a visit parameters?

Level 2

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a way to define low quality conversion based on visits parameters and stuck if it is possible to do inside AA, without developers.

We have click-to-call button and we would like to have it as conversion, but recently we saw increase in difference between count of calls and count of these events. Previously we also had a share of just clicks, but now it started to grow a lot. 

I reviewed users and sessions and found pretty straight forward definition: 1st visit + session < 1 min.

First I thought to design a processing rule, but it appeared that processing rules have only hits parameters or props or eVars. Is there an opportunity to overcome this limitation or I need to reach out to developers if it is possible to extract visit number from cookie?

Or I wouldn't be able to do anything with processing and I have to stay just with reporting - build excluding segment?

Thank you in advance!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The other nice thing about a dimension, or even a segment to identify the potential bot traffic... if you make a mistake you haven't thrown out all the data.

I actually use the concept of a "Clean Data" segment, and have all my users use Virtual Report suites (using that Clean Data segment along with the relevant segments for the virtual suite)... that way, if I identify a problem with data (either a bot, or a code issue that lead to a non-real traffic spike), I can adjust my segment and all the suites that people use, and all the reports get the updates without having to manage each report separately... (and if I accidentally remove too much, oops, I re-adjust the segment and it all flows back in).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Sergei_Kalinichenko 

have you tried to validate your assumptions by breaking down the events by e.g. Operating System, Browser Version and Hour of day?
These are typically the first things I look at. old browser versions (bear in mind that modern browsers stay up to date by installing regular updates themselves and for instance a Chrome version < 100 could indicate a bot), Linux as OS and peaks every x hours e.g. through a cron job running a test?

hope that helps

Cheers from Switzerland!

Hi!

Thanks for advices, I checked the dimensions and in fact it just added more sense to labeling these events, but my question was more about mechanics. I'd like to rely on as many parameters as possible.

Thanks!

Community Advisor

Unfortunately, the Bot rules you can set up in Analytics are rather minimalistic and won't help in this case.

So as @Jennifer_Dungan mentioned, you can surely ask a developer to set something up in Launch based upon what you think may identify the bot traffic. I'd reserve a custom flag (prop or eVar with Hit expiration) that marks a potential bot traffic event.

From there on, you can still take it into AA for further investigation.

Cheers from Switzerland!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The other nice thing about a dimension, or even a segment to identify the potential bot traffic... if you make a mistake you haven't thrown out all the data.

I actually use the concept of a "Clean Data" segment, and have all my users use Virtual Report suites (using that Clean Data segment along with the relevant segments for the virtual suite)... that way, if I identify a problem with data (either a bot, or a code issue that lead to a non-real traffic spike), I can adjust my segment and all the suites that people use, and all the reports get the updates without having to manage each report separately... (and if I accidentally remove too much, oops, I re-adjust the segment and it all flows back in).

Community Advisor

If you are trying to get the visit number (keeping in mind that visit number is essentially a lifetime metric), you can use an AA plugin: getVisitNum:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getvisitnum

I don't know if your Launch Code is considered "Developer" Work or not....