Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Session Refresh as Last Touch Channel Issue

Level 2

Question: Why is Session Refresh referenced so often as the source (Last Touch Channel) for Site Registrations and/or visits?

I have Marketing Channels (Last Touch Channel) setup but I'm seeing quite a lot of visits and user registrations for the “Session Refresh” marketing channel. I don't understand why this (Last Touch = session refresh, visit based) gives me this information as these visits should go to the different buckets.

I have read Adobe's blog post: https://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/marketing-channels-5-steps-to-troubleshoot-sessio...

Any help that supplements the blog post would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi Rob,

The rule are setup correctly, the only thing I can think of are that something is wrong setting correct visitor ID's on your site. Are you setting visitor ID your self (via s.visitorID)?

If you want, post the website URL here that has the issue and I will take a quick look at it for you.

/Løjmann

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 5

Hi,

Did you allow the 'Session Refresh' channel, to override other channels in your setup, I would strongly recommend you to verify that you did not... Please also post Marketing Channel setup and the specific rule here, to allowing to verify your setup.

/Løjmann

Level 2

Thanks Løjmann!

We currently have 21 Marketing Channel processing rules with "Session Refresh" as the 19th rule on the list:

1. Paid Search
  2. Paid Search
  3. Natural Search
  4. Natural Search
  5. Marketing Email
  6. Editorial Email
  7. Editorial Email
  8. Marketing House Ad
  9. Paid Social Media
  10. Mobile Share
  11. Managed Social Media
  12. Syndication Partners
  13. Syndication Partners
  14. RSS
  15. Other Campaigns
  16. Instant Articles
  17. Organic Social Media
  18. Organic Email
  19. Session Refresh
  20. Direct
  21. Referring Domains

I have attached a screenshot of the Marketing Channel Processing Rule for "Session Refresh." 

Are you able to help me verify the setup with this information? If not, let me know what else you would need to do so.

Thank you so much!

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi Rob,

The rule are setup correctly, the only thing I can think of are that something is wrong setting correct visitor ID's on your site. Are you setting visitor ID your self (via s.visitorID)?

If you want, post the website URL here that has the issue and I will take a quick look at it for you.

/Løjmann

Level 2

Thanks Løjmann!

Regarding setting visitor ID...

We only set the visitor id (and marketing cloud id) on the insertion API...and even then we use the ID's provided/passed through from the javascript visitor API...so it should be consistent with the rest of the site. And the rest of the site uses the marketing cloud id/visitor API.

Does that answer your question?

Level 5

Okay, so your implementation are a mix of standard JS implementation and data insertion API?

How are you sending visitor ID via the API? Do you just send the visitor ID cookie, or also the Marketing Cloud ID? If you can post a API request here, we can properly debug together :)

/Løjmann