Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Sequential Segmentation - Customer Journey

Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build visit level segments to classify into following categories based on the journey path:

- Ideal : Where customer follow the pre-defined path set for the journey without any deviation (back and forth or abandon and reattempt)

- Deviation : Where customer completes the journey, however with either back and forth or abandon and reattempt in the same session

Consideration : Since in a single session customer can attempt the journey multiple time and complete it. I want to consider the first attempt to completion for this analysis.

For example:

Pre-defined ideal path for the journey is : PAGE 1 THEN PAGE 2 THEN PAGE 3

Suppose a customer visits the pages in this sequence 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3. I want to consider the hits 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 for the analysis to classify this visit/session as Ideal.

How to build a segment that limits the hits till the first attempt to completion?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adding on to @Vinoth1991's reply: 

Instead of using (Within 1 Hit), you should use (Within 1 Page View).

As implied by his answer, your Page A > Page B > Page C must have been tracked as sequential hits. If you track anything else in between the pages, like Custom Links, then those must be included in your sequential segment conditions. This is because every beacon that is sent to Adobe Analytics' server -- Pageview, Custom Link, Download Link, Exit Link -- are individual hits.

The "Page View" within operator helps to overcome this, so that the segment only considers data from Pageview beacons.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

@SushilPatro  Have you tried sequential segmentation?

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/segmentation-workflow/seg-...

You can put Page A --Then (within 1 hit) -- Page B --Then (within 1 hit) --Page C

Vinoth1991_0-1649065401946.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adding on to @Vinoth1991's reply: 

Instead of using (Within 1 Hit), you should use (Within 1 Page View).

As implied by his answer, your Page A > Page B > Page C must have been tracked as sequential hits. If you track anything else in between the pages, like Custom Links, then those must be included in your sequential segment conditions. This is because every beacon that is sent to Adobe Analytics' server -- Pageview, Custom Link, Download Link, Exit Link -- are individual hits.

The "Page View" within operator helps to overcome this, so that the segment only considers data from Pageview beacons.

Level 1

Thanks both of you for the response. However, my major concern is to limitsthe hits in a session once the completion page is reached (ie. in this example PAGE 3).

Once that is achieved, I plan to use the sequential segments (using pageviews) to define the order of the pageviews.

I tried using the before segment, however that captures every hit till the last hit of the sequence. 

For example:

Customer A visits the pages in this sequence : 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3

Here 3 is encountered twice. In my use case, I want to limit the hits to 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 (in bold).

If we use the before criteria in sequential segments, it will capture 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3.

Is there a way in which we can achieve this?

Community Advisor

Dear SushilPatro,

It is possible. Check out the PDF link from Audrey Salerno.

Rather than using the 'only before sequence', use 'only the after sequence' and exclude it. It was well explained in the PDF.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics