Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Sequential Segment (After) with 3 Pages

Level 2

I've been analyzing audience behavior with sequential segments from Page A > Page B, and using the "Only Before/After Sequence." My question is this:

If the user journey is from Page A > Page B > Page C, how can I specify "Only After Sequence," meaning B -> C while still considering they previously came from A?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I will admit, I don't use the "before/after sequence" much.. so you should definitely test this to make sure what is returned is expected data....

But I think you can do this with containers....

The entire segment is a "Visit" level definition, then I placed the A > B sequence in a container (also Visit Level), and applied a "Only After Sequence" to the container.

Following the Container, I added Page C.

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1662752249038.png

If you want the flow to be consecutive, you can use "Then within 1 Page View", instead of just "Then"

IF you just want the hits of Page C... then you can change the Segment to "hit" level.. leave the container as is (Visit level and After Sequence) but change your Page C to "AND"

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1662752367497.png

This will look for Visits that have the sequence A > B, that also hit C (but C has to come after the A > B flow), and will restrict the returned data to just the hits on Page C (that meet the criteria)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I will admit, I don't use the "before/after sequence" much.. so you should definitely test this to make sure what is returned is expected data....

But I think you can do this with containers....

The entire segment is a "Visit" level definition, then I placed the A > B sequence in a container (also Visit Level), and applied a "Only After Sequence" to the container.

Following the Container, I added Page C.

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1662752249038.png

If you want the flow to be consecutive, you can use "Then within 1 Page View", instead of just "Then"

IF you just want the hits of Page C... then you can change the Segment to "hit" level.. leave the container as is (Visit level and After Sequence) but change your Page C to "AND"

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1662752367497.png

This will look for Visits that have the sequence A > B, that also hit C (but C has to come after the A > B flow), and will restrict the returned data to just the hits on Page C (that meet the criteria)

Level 2

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan , I had initially approached the issue like this but wasn't able to show any visitors within the segment. Interestingly enough, the container must specify either before/after sequence selection (and not include everyone) to get this to work. Thanks for the insight.

Community Advisor

Yeah.. sometimes it takes a little finessing to get complex segments to work