Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Restructuring of site sections

Level 2

Hi community,

my goal is to restructure the dimension "site section" in Adobe Analytics. At the moment, there is mess of many irrelevant site sections and I would like to boil them down to maybe ten main site sections and some sub site sections.

What is the best workflow for that? Is the implementation done in Admin > Report Suites, Admin > Classification Rule Builder or in a combination?

Any help or hint is appreciated!

Adam

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

@Adam19 ,

Use classifications and classification importer. The rule builder will be efficient if you have a standardised value taxonomy that does not look to be the case for your scenario. It's unlikely you will benefit from sub-classifications, begin with a simple flat classification; it will be always possible to add more levels in the future if necessary.

The classifications can be set up as per your needs and fantasy Here are a few examples:

Site SectionSite Section NEW
productsproducts
shoesproducts
productproducts
all shoesproducts

Site SectionSite Section 1Site Section 2
shoesshoes 
shoes womenshoeswomen
shoes menshoesmen

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

I would suggest creating a classification for Site Sections and upload classification values using SAINT importer.

Level 2
Hi @Khurshid_Alam, thank you for your response! Maybe I should be a bit more specific: The website has main site sections, e.g. PRODUCTS and sub site sections e.g. PRODUCTS > SHOES. What do you mean with creating a classification for site sections? Would you assign SHOES as a sub-classification of PRODUCTS?

Level 2
And how can you get rid of site sections that are unimportant and should swallowed by a more general site section?

Level 2
Could you also explain why not to use rule builder

Employee Advisor
Looking at your initial query, it gave me the impression this was about the Site Section variable. I see now that you are referring to Products. If you need to restructure the sections (classifications), you can start with adding new classifications for the Products variable. Add sub classifications as required. Then upload the classifications. Once the data in the new classification reports show up as expected, remove the old classifications. I did not recommend Rule Builder because it has look back up to 6 months only. If a key value in the report is older than 6 months, Rule Builder will not classify that value.

Correct answer by
Level 10

@Adam19 ,

Use classifications and classification importer. The rule builder will be efficient if you have a standardised value taxonomy that does not look to be the case for your scenario. It's unlikely you will benefit from sub-classifications, begin with a simple flat classification; it will be always possible to add more levels in the future if necessary.

The classifications can be set up as per your needs and fantasy Here are a few examples:

Site SectionSite Section NEW
productsproducts
shoesproducts
productproducts
all shoesproducts

Site SectionSite Section 1Site Section 2
shoesshoes 
shoes womenshoeswomen
shoes menshoesmen

Level 2

Hi @AndRey, thank you for your detailed answer! May I ask a follow up question? What do you mean with "standardised value taxonomy"?

At the moment the site sections get retrieved from the url. This would allow to apply general rules via the Rule Builder, doesn't it?

At what point do you benefit from sub-classifications?

If you had e.g. the urls www.test.com/products/shoes

would it make sense to have a "Site section" EXAMPLE MAIN SITE SECTION and a "sub-site section" CATEGORY?

This URL would then be assigned to EXAMPLE MAIN SITE SECTION: products & CATEGORY shoes.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?